Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Blackened Salmon and Other Goodies

BobSBobS Posts: 2,485
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We liked the blackened salmon so well last weekend that we decided to try again today.

Here is a picture of the salmon that has been prepped to go in the CI skillet. It has a heavy coat of blackening seasoning and then I smear a heavy coat of butter on one side. I do not want to add the butter or oil directly to the pan, because it is another step working over a VERY HOT grill (650-700).

19-06-11BlackenedSalmon4.jpg

I could not get the camera to work outside, so I did not get a picture of the skillet, but here is the finished salmon.

19-06-11BlackenedSalmon5.jpg

I went to the farmers market today and got some fresh tomatoes, basil, and these things, called garlic scapes. I had never seen them before, but they are basically the garlic tops that are removed to put more of the growth into the bulb. I chopped them and added to some fresh sweet corn.

19-06-11BlackenedSalmon1.jpg

I started some shallots, with butter and then added the scapes and corn. When it was nearly done, I added one of the roasted red peppers.

19-06-11BlackenedSalmon2.jpg

I added a caprese salad.

19-06-11BlackenedSalmon3.jpg

This turned out to be a fine meal.

19-06-11BlackenedSalmon6.jpg

Susan has some pineapple, coconut cupcakes in the oven for later.
·

Comments

• cougar_bbqcougar_bbq Posts: 14
    Looks amazing. You can also make pesto with the scapes.
    ·
  • BobSBobS Posts: 2,485
    cougar_bbq wrote:
    Looks amazing. You can also make pesto with the scapes.

I had never seen the scapes before. I thought they were okay, but did not add enough for me to really be excited. I thought they were a bit strong when eaten raw.
    ·
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,272
    Nice!
    ·
  • FluffybFluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Beautiful meal! Need to try blackened salmon some time.
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 7,690
    That salmon looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
    ·
  • loco_engrloco_engr Posts: 3,673
    WOW!
    Caprese Salad . . . "totally new concept"

Thank You!
    ·
  • EggsakleyEggsakley Posts: 1,014
    I've never had blackened salmon before, but am definately going to try it after seeing your post. Great job.
    ·
  • RCBRCB Posts: 16
    The Blackened Salmon looks great. I do believe it's easier and more efficient to have the butter on the fish before droppig it on the cast iron top. Thanks for the inspiration.
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,697
    BobS - I had never thought of blackening salmon till somebody did it last week (was that you, too?) I gotta admit, it looks really good and may be on my list of things to try this week.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • BobSBobS Posts: 2,485
    Griffin wrote:
    BobS - I had never thought of blackening salmon till somebody did it last week (was that you, too?) I gotta admit, it looks really good and may be on my list of things to try this week.

I am not sure if you saw my cook but I did have another blackened salmon post a week ago.
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,697
    Must have been you, then.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·