Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last night's surf & turf

Fluffyb
Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The tri tips we get around here are huge. Being just 2 of us usually, I cut them in 2 or 3 pieces and freeze the them. Last night took the small end out and also had some scallops. While at the store the other day I noticed a new kind of lump (to me anyway). It was Natural Oak, so I thought I would give it a whirl. Especially since Santa Maria tri tip is normally grilled over oak. Has anyone else tried this? I looked on Naked Whiz site and didn't see this particular brand of oak lump.
IMAG0568.jpg

Cleaned out egg.
IMAG0569.jpg

Nice big chunks. Sorry for the shadow.
IMAG0570.jpg

Prepping for dinner.
IMAG0571.jpg

Scallops marinating in a little roasted red pepper salad dressing.
IMAG0573.jpg

Tomatoes from my garden.
IMAG0572.jpg

Searing the tri tip rubbed with Richard FL's Kona Koast Koffee rub.
IMAG0574.jpg

Pulled it off and let the egg come down to about 350. Put Crash Hot taters on while the temp was coming down, then added the tri tip back on along with pancetta wrapped scallops.
IMAG0575.jpg

Everything came out pretty good, just way to smokey of a taste. Much more smokey than Royal Oak. I let the fire burn for a over an hour before searing the tri tip. The smoke was still fairly acrid but it was
getting late and we were hungry.
IMAG0576.jpg

Overall, I don't think I would use this lump again. The smell upon lighting it was very strong and the smoke flavor was just too much. Cooking brauts later today and will use the same lump, will just light it much earlier and let it burn.

Comments

• eggsrgreat
    eggsrgreat Posts: 86
    I bought a 40lb sack of Best Of The West at Sam's club, but it was mesquite. Nastiest tasting stuff I ever tasted. Like licking a freshly tarred road. If you search this forum, there is a pretty long thread about it where I asked others opinion. I see yours isn't mesquite though, but you said it also had a strange taste. Hummmmm :huh:
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Teresa, your cook looks very good, nice job :)
    I noticed in your "clean egg" shot that you fire grate was upside down. You want the beveled side of the holes down. This helps prevent the ash and small peices of lump from clogging the holes! B):)
  • Fluffyb
    Thanks for that. I actually caught it before loading it up.
  • Fluffyb
    Could be the brand I guesse. Glad I didn't buy a 40lb bag! Will try it again tonight and see if I let it burn longer if it will get to a clean burn.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Nice meal Teresa.
    Sorry about the lump. I will remember not to get that brand.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Le Oeuf Vert
    Le Oeuf Vert Posts: 512
    All around a nice looking meal. Thanks for the heads up on the lump.
  • ClarkKent
    ClarkKent Posts: 17
    Excuse the ignorance, "tri tips"? What is that?
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Teresa, great cook, looks like you had a nice cook despite the smokey lump