Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Semi OT !!

Options
elzbth
elzbth Posts: 2,075
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Traveled to Foley, Alabama this morning to attend a hot air balloon festival. Had never seen more than 2 or 3 at a time until today - WOW! Now, to get "on" topic- stopped at the local Piggly Wiggly in search of Blues Hog - not to be. I did get some Bone Suckin' sauce - tomorrow we'll have St. Louis spares and wings!

IMG_2586-2.jpg

IMG_2538.jpg

IMG_2550.jpg

IMG_2576.jpg

Comments

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    When we lived in Tracy CA the field next to our house was a landing area. Lordy, it was a beautiful sight.
    Then the Bay Area people discovered how cheap it was to live inTracy, and the sponge houses came, the field was gone, and the balloons were just a fond memory :(
    Thanks for the pics and awakening that wonderful memory :)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Very cool Elizabeth :)

Shane
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    Nice pics, Elizabeth, thanks!!
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    I love hot air balloons!
    context is important :)
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Spent about a year in Fairhope on a boat I was running at the time, loved that area! :)
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Back in another life while living in Jacksonville, my Sweetie presented me with a real surprise, a ride in a hot air balloon.

She woke me very early and told me to get dressed quickly. Within minutes we were going to only she knew where. It turned out to be the practice football field at Jacksonville University. Perfect timing because we got to see and hear the blowing up of the balloons.

We had seen them come over our house on a regular basis and thought how cool it was.

I thought that was it but then she said, "The Yellow one is ours. Let's go."

Next thing I knew we were going up up and away.

We first drifted over our old apartment on the creek. Then we were right over our house. We could hear our dog barking at us. We talked to her.

Then we drifted on down to a golf course where Judy's mom lived. We landed on a fairway, drank our traditional champaigne, helped pack the balloon, and decided to walk to her Mom's apartment for breakfast rather than take the shuttle back.

She was quite surprised to see us but you could tell she wished she had been along for the ride.

It was an adventure we will never forget. I strongly suggest a hot air balloon ride as a birthday present for anyone, old or young, male or female. They will never forget it.

Take a look at these really old photos I scanned into my computer and made into a movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w726CZK8JiU

Spring "Hot Air Can Be A Lifting Experience" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Awwww - that's really nice. ;) Not sure I could handle the noise, but you never know - I may get a wild hair one of these days. Thanks for sharing the link to your adventure! :)
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    That was wonderful. Thank you for sharing. I was thinking Arlington TX until I saw the river. Nice background music, whose was playing the fiddle?
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Thank you. That was Dougie Maclean on the fiddle. I love that song. Simple and clean music.

Actually, I have some 8mm movie shots that I had converted to VCR years ago. The quality is really poor and will not convert to digital very well. So I'm attempting to capture it directly from my TV screen using my Flip Video camera. It's better than nothing but I'll have to do it two or three times in order to get all of it well enough to edit and convert to digital video.

Then I'll make a much better movie using the stills and the video. Probably use the same music.

Spring "Modest Movie Mogul" Chicken
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Thanks. Dougie never crossed my mind. I thought i heard hints of Jay Unger in the playing style. I have lots of celtic music on file. I will bring it to plano. A swap of some good tracks maybe in order
    Maybe you should give a class at Plano on how to post to utube
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Sounds like a plan. I don't have a lot of Celtic though. I'm a Yanni sort of guy. Got some Enya, The Three Tenors and a couple of very poor CD's I picked up in the "Get-Rid-Of Bin." Might have a few Cajun fiddles too and some South of the Border guitar.

As for teaching how to post to YouTube, that's easy. Takes about a minute. The 'putting something together' to post to YouTube is a bit tricker but easy once you know the basics. Takes about five minutes. I'll be happy to show you. I'll even show you a trick or two I learned along the way.

See you in Plano.

Spring "If It Was Hard To Do I Couldn't Do It" Chicken
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    Wonderful, Leroy - I did notice that Judy was a beauty in her younger days and she sure still is now.

Now in your case, .....
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC08414a.jpg

The balloons at our little festival land in the prairie just east of my house, and a couple of years ago I had two smokers with 60# of briskets going when the first wave came into the landing area. They could smell the barbecue and really dropped down for a closer look. Some almost got tangled up in power lines.

july2009016aa.jpg

DSC08417a.jpg

july2009025a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Plano isn't just for "Outlaw Gatherings"!

http://youtu.be/0RPW7voZUkM