Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

butt help - no thermometer

joejoeshooterjoejoeshooter Posts: 55
edited 5:05PM in EggHead Forum
I have two butts on the egg right now. My probe got wet and my back-up is not working either. I'm so dependent on the thermometer - I don't know what to do. I can't even remember what time I put em on. Both are about six lbs. I went ahead and wrapped them. I think they've been on about five hours at 230. What say you?
·

Comments

• smbishopsmbishop Posts: 1,087
    Well, they say about 1.5 hours per pound at 250 dome, not wrapped. I think wrapping them speeds up the cook. Can you get to a store and buy a cheap meat thermometer? Another way to check if they are done is if the bone feels very loose. I have never wrapped, but I would guess you have at least 3 more hours...
    Large, Small, and a LOT of Eggcessories!  Southlake, TX
    ·
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    Stick a toothpick in them, if you feel no resistance, they are done. -RP
    ·
  • Little ChefLittle Chef Posts: 4,725
    RP: Hope all is well! Have Filly give me a call...have some questions regarding horses...Thanks! ;)
    ·
  • BrokersmokerBrokersmoker Posts: 646
    Walmart around here have a cordless meat Thermometer for $16. I like it better than my Maverick, except for no cooker probe. Also If fried probes are from Maverick read the owners manual, they will replace fried probes.
    ·
  • PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    The grocery stores usually have a thermometer in the utensil's section for cheap.
    ·