Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

(whoops!) First Jerky Cook (w/pics) Part 2

ShortRib
ShortRib Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here is my first cook, I used three stackable cooling racks that I rotated every three hours.[p]Jerky1.jpg[p]It came out GREAT!!![p]Jerky2.jpg[p]ShortRib

Comments

• Dave
    Dave Posts: 163
    ShortRib,[p]What cut of meat did you use for your Jerky?[p] Dave

• Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    ShortRib,
    Looks good. Got a few questions. Time, temp, and where did you get them racks? Nice racks!
    Seth

• ShortRib
    Crab leg,
    I researched it hard on the forum. The temp was about 190-195. I was told the easiest way of getting such a low temp was to use "used" charcoal. I had about half an egg full of half burnt charcoal in my egg. Time is hard to figure out. The rule of thumb I was told was to start sampling after 3 hours. Every two hours after that I rotated the racks and picked off the smaller pieces that were done sooner. I was completely done after about 8 hours. I bought the racks at Target. They are stackable cooling racks that you can find in the kitchen area (roughly $5). I tried to stack them using the extensions, but there was not enough room and I couldn't shut the lid of the egg.

• ShortRib
    Dave,[p]Used London Broil. I asked the butcher at the local grocery store to slice about 4 pounds of London Broil around 1/4" to 3/16". Then cut it into strips when I came home. Marinaded it on Wed. cooked it on Friday.