Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temprature won't hold

Blake Johnson
Blake Johnson Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I just got my BGE and this is my first post. I have played with it, unfortunately, I'm struggling to get the temprature to hold under 300. I can get it to keep at 300 plus or minus 5 degrees, but can't get 250 or 275 for ribs or brisket. I'm using the electric starter and tried put only a few lumps over the ring. It slowly crept up, but once closed, it kept climbing. I had the vent nearly all the way closed and the vent on top nearly all closed. Any tips for getting a solid 225 or 250 temprature?

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    Blake, welcome. is the platesetter already in the egg? the temp will come down, don't shut down completely or you risk snuffing out the fire. when you put in the cold meat the temp will drop further. i would leave the bottom vent open the thickness of a credit card, and open the daisies slightly, then let it settle, otherwise you'll be chasing temp all night. good luck.
    Gary
    canuckland
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    I keep the top and bottom wide open until about 200*. Then I start closing down the bottom and top vents to stabilize at 250*. For temps that low, I spend about an hour getting a stable temp, and adding the placesetter before putting the meat on. You are correct that the top and bottom vents will be nearly closed...

If you overshoot your desired temperature it can take a while to get back down to something under 300.
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • I did put the plate setter in as soon as the fire was lit and shut the lid. I'm hoping I can get it to play nice before the 4th of July!
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Plate setter drops temp a lot, approach from below gradually closing vents/wheel until they are as stated about 1/8 on daisy and cc width to 3/16 nch on vent. Electric starter 6-7 minutes max then unplug and pull from lump. longer and grill hits 300 easy.

good luck
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    Have you calibrated your thermometer.
  • Manfred
    Manfred Posts: 186
    One thing I have learn that different type of lump burn different. Make sure to stay with one type until you get the hang of it then try of types. I almost over cook a brisket the first time I use WG lump. just a thought
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Check to see that the gasket seal is good. Use the dollar bill test. Close the dome on the dollar and give it a tug. Do this all around the gasket. If the dollar slides out without resistance there is a gap at that spot. Repositioning the bands so the dome sits evenly on the gasket is the usual fix. ;)
  • I had the same problem when I first started low-temp egging: there was either too much air (and the temperature shot up past 250) or there wasn't enough air and the coals went out). I was using firestarters to start the coals at the time.

My solution was to use a charcoal chimney to light the initial charcoals, get them really really hot and then add only some of the coals to the egg. Doing it this way lets you really control the temperature while keeping the coals alive. Works like a charm, though I find I get temperature creep until about 250, at which point it settles down.