Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do I understand this right RE: Dizzy Pig?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do some of you put Dizzy pig in with your pork as you are pulling it AFTER it cooks? I have used it prior to cooking as a rub, but I saw a post that I thought mentioned doing this and just wanted to see if I read it correctly.

Comments

• Jason
    Jason Posts: 45
    ChoppedPorkPlate,[p]quoted from dizzypigbbq.com[p]"To finish up presentation of the pulled pork, I add some sweet KC-style barbecue sauce, (you may prefer a thinner vinegar-based sauce, or even none at all!), and a good sprinkling of Dizzy Dust Regular Grind in order to freshen up the spice flavor in the meat. A quick mix and you are ready for a gathering of friends and family!"[p][p]
  • ChoppedPorkPlate,
    you read it right. .. putting a sprinkling in after you pull the pork and tossing it in helps to 'refresh' the flavor. .. not a lot, just a seasoning type dose, like you would salt and pepper something before you ate it. . .a lot of the dizzy rubs (raging river and cowlick in my house) can be used as table condiments . ..more depth of flavor than just using s & p . .. [p]give it a try. .

• jason,[p]Thank you kindly. That just struck me as strange, but I am gonna try that with a Pork Shoulder Picnic I am smoking right now. Gonna try that this afternoon.
  • ChoppedPorkPlate, I think it's a real important step to add the dp rub. But I do the sauce on the side, but to be sure it's moist I add some broth and / or apple juice.

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    Thanks!

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Chet,
    I've never had to add any liquid to my PP to insure the moisture. I would wonder if your PP is really dry or is it just something you usually do? I agree with the finishing sauce on the side naturally, one family member doesn't add a thing to her pulled pork - and I have to say that's downright strange!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    ChoppedPorkPlate,
    Actually this is our way of getting people to use more of the product....ya know, like apply, lather, rinse, repeat! ;-) Kidding of course.[p]It is really a personal preference, as a rub is quite a different as a condiment than it is as a rub. We like to shake some on the finished product to reintroduce some of the flavors that may have mellowed in the cooked version, as well as to give it a little extra salty kick....which pork loves. We don't use a lot. Maybe a tsp or two for a whole tray of pork. [p]Try it both ways and see which you like best!
    Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    ChoppedPorkPlate,
    Yes, I always reseason the meat while it is stilll warm after it is pulled.

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    jake42,[p]
    aint nuttin like a little salt-n-peppa on a friction burn...jake42 you a tuff guy..I like the way you think.[p]StumpBaby

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    StumpBaby,
    You strike me as the kind of lad who'd go out to barn for a little Cow Lick, eh?
    Tell me I'm wrong Stumpy; I dare ya to tell me I'm wrong! LOL
    Qfan

• Greendriver
    Greendriver Posts: 128
    Sundown, my ppork is as moist as anyone I would guess, it was in a bbq book by P. Kirk and I guess I just have to agree that a little extra moisture can't hurt...sorry for the name thing...I forgot who I wuz for a minute.

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    BBQfan1,[p]
    mmmmm..I do like cows.....mmm....