Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all had a big green St. Patrick’s Day! While you’re waiting for it to be Easter time, try some of the new recipes we’ve recently added to our website. One of our favorite dishes is the Easy Jambalaya with Beef, and our favorite sweet & savory treat is the Sweet Cream Crostini.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Suggestions Needed for Scallops

Devil'D EggDevil'D Egg Posts: 79
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I couldn't resist picking up 15 large scallops for 5 adults this weekend. Now I'm in a quandry to to cook them as an appetizer or incorporate them into a main dish? Any suggestions are welcome for this Newbie.

Next time I should prepare better, but they did look great at my local meat market!
·

Comments

• NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,246
    I just did a recipe from a new cookbook called "On A Stick!" - Grilled scallops with sweet chili sauce. Not much of a recipe per se but they were good!

http://www.nibblemethis.com/2011/06/grilled-scallops-on-stick.html

DSC_0455+resized.jpg

Chris Lilly's brisket wrapped scallops are excellent!

I also like to serve that "golden sauce" served in tepanyaki style restaurants with grilled scallops

http://www.nibblemethis.com/2009/05/japanese-steakhouse-golden-shrimp-sauce.html

DSC_0043+resized+better.jpg

Surf and turf is always a good idea: http://www.nibblemethis.com/2010/01/cast-iron-chef-seared-scallops-citrus.html
    ·
  • deepsouthdeepsouth Posts: 1,788
    bacon wrapped scallops. i always pre-cook the bacon a bit now before i wrap the scallops so the scallops don't end up overcooked.
    ·
  • Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    3 scallops apiece is an appetizer! The above recipes are great, another easy one is a little DP "Raging River" and a quick sear. Alittle EVOO on the crteers first :)
    ·
  • BajaTomBajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Here are some wrapped in prosciutto. Scallops3.jpg
    ·
  • Chris, thanks for the links. I'm beginning to think surf and turf may be the way to go. I do a mean rib eye with a Maytag cheese/butter/lemon zest topping that is to die for.
    ·
  • I agree, I was thinking of adding with the scallops, shrimp and Andouille sausage. But kinda leaning towards the surf and turf recommendation.
    ·
  • Thanks Baja Tom for the additional recommendation of Prosciutto as a wrapping. I think I may experiment with bacon, turkey bacon (not sure if anyone has used previously)for the heart heathy needs and prosciutto.
    ·
  • BajaTomBajaTom Posts: 1,269
    I like prosciutto because it doesn't take as long to crisp up. When using bacon I sometimes over cook the scallopes. Good luck to all.
    ·
  • FluffybFluffyb Posts: 1,815
    That is what we are having tonight, surf - bacon wrapped scallops and turf - tri tip. And we have 3 a piece too. Will brush the scallops with a an infused evoo, just not sure what it will be infused with yet.
    ·