Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pulled pork from pork loin?

Options
skihorn
skihorn Posts: 600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a pork loin in the freezer. It looks like about 4 to 5 lbs. I am not a huge fan of pork loins (pork tenderloins have spoiled me). Our church youth group is coming to our house next weekend. I was going to do some pulled pork from pork butts. Could I do the pork loin the same way? Just cook it low and slow until about 200 internal and then pull it? Will it be at least similar enough to the pork butt that I could combine it all together?

Thanks in advance.

Freddie
League City, TX

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Loins have a completey different structure than butts or picnics. Not sure how it would turn out.
    Why dont you get some Pink Salt or Morton Tenderquick and cure that bad boy for the next 5 days then smoke up some Pioneer Bacon? It is incredibly easy and comes out great.
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    Bone in pork loin is one of my favorite cooks. Lo & slo at 250*, stuffed with garlic, internal temp of 140*, tender, juicy........the ones I do are usually about 10 lbs. and take around 3 hours. Easy cook and realy good. But, I have never attempted pulling a loin.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Pork loin is too lean for pulling. Put a good rub on it and cook it indirect at 325-350 degrees until 140* internal temp., rest 10-15 minutes under foil, then slice. Serve sauce on the side if you wish.
  • skihorn
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I guess I won't try it. I will just cook it some other time.

Freddie
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Freddie,
    Just a heads up for pork tenderloin lovers, you can make pulled pork samitches with the tenderloins.
    BGEPulledPorkTenderloin0028.jpg

One of these days I gotta get my recipe for this in the cookbook. In a nutshell: Starts with a sear and hot smoking then moves on to braising with about a cup of apple juice then moves on to pulling.(yes the meat will pull apart) Then saucing with apple cider and your favorite BBQ sauce and last a second smoking in an open Dutch oven. This is very delicious and tender, a real treat.
    BGEPulledPorkTenderloin0010-1.jpg

BGEPulledPorkTenderloin0015-1.jpg

Getting all nice and happy.
    BGEPulledPorkTenderloin0021-1.jpg
  • skihorn
    Options
    That does look good!

Freddie
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Freddie, I have made Clay's recipe and it is delicious, don't see why you couldn't use loin :)