Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone do indirect cooks on a mini?

Rezen73
Rezen73 Posts: 356
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife and I are considering getting either a mini or a small to complement the large... we both prefer the mini because of size & portability, but I am a wee bit concerned about indirect cooking options (e.g. no "plate setter" available for the mini) ... has anyone had any success with indirect cooking on a mini?

I've just now found out about the Woo ... that looks promising; any experience with it?

Also, I'm interested in doing cold smoking by burning the wood chips in the mini, and venting the smoke into the large using something like a dryer vent hose. Anyone do something like this with either a small or mini?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Yes we do. You might get some ideas from watching this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYGge_k7FUI

Spring "Mini Does Maxi Cooks" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    We tend to give opinions based on what we did, so I will follow that trend. I bought the large, a small nine months later, a mini three months after that. I think the mini is a good third egg to buy. It's really a grill, not a smoker. The small handles indirect and low and slow really well. So I would say get a small. Plus the small isn't a lot more than the mini. Minis are close to $400 around here. The small is only like $80 more.
  • Turk
    Turk Posts: 114
    I did not have a mini pizza stone so I used a corning ware pie plat instead. It worked well.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    If your main goal is a travel Egg buy the Mini.
    I have Mini and Small and would much rather cook on my Small.
    So much more vertical room for indirect set up or raised grid direct.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Smokin - small to xl
    IMG_3223800x600.jpg

IMG_3237800x600.jpg

Don't recommend it - recommend using chips and a soldering iron. But put the whole in the side of the can and stand it up.
    IMG_0688800x600.jpg

Recommend small over the mini for second egg - very portable.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    And what does that do???
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    LOL OK Frank I just spit my coffee all over my laptop LOL those smoking pics are a bit odd looking but a great idea to get smoke with no heat.
    and on the mini thing we have a mini and it is one of our hardest working eggs. it is a nice pick up and go egg but the small is not very heavy really and is portable too.. I have the woo and pizza stones off amazon and it is indirect that way.
  • Spring Chicken's Video really says it all. But in true forum style, I'm not going to keep me from saying some more :laugh:

If portability and travel are what's driving the decision, the Mini is easiest. I don't have a small but if I was getting a second Egg and there was only $80 difference, I'd get the Small. I love my mini, but I think you can cook more comfortably (and more food) on a small. My back isn't getting any younger and while both are portable, the 35 lb mini is much easier moving around, getting in and out of the car and fitting into a packed trunk than a 65 lb small.

I bought an extra grid with mine and with 3 carriage bolts made a raised grid (this was before the mini woo came into existence).
    MiniGrid.jpg

so I use the raised grid and make aluminum foil "pans" to deflect the heat and it works.
    IMG_1423.jpg
    this was my 2nd cook on it- a 3.5 lb roast. First cook was a 4 lb chicken indirect.

IMG_2084.jpg
    another 3 - 4 lb roast

IMG_2381.jpg
    this is a slightly different one-Pizza. 8" stone wrapped in foil sitting on the grid and 3 smooth stones separating it from the Pizza stone.

IMG_3402.jpg
    This was a great cook- stuffed (boneless) Leg of Lamb. the meat was about 3 lbs before stuffing. I cooked this at work. FWIW the air temp was 14F.

The Mini is fun and easy for travelling. If you take it to tailgate or picnic, remember to allow time to cool down, bring heavy (work)gloves for carrying when hot. maybe a towel to wrap in the car, but also it's best if you have a metal container to dump your coals in after cooking. I have a leftover tin that originally had Boy Scout popcorn in it. It seals up real tight, snuffs the coals and provides a waterproof container.

I forgot, what was your question....?
    :)
  • It was one of those weekend eggsperiment while I was retired and had too much time on my hands :)

Was making jerky on the XL and generating heat/smoke on the small :laugh: 400 dome on the small, 175 dome on the XL
    IMG_3231800x600.jpg

I love my mini but if I was buying either a mini or small I would choose a small. Both portable but small just gives more options. Wouldn't part with either one.

Small and mini ready for road trip
    IMG_3522800x600-1.jpg

Small and mini at the beach
    IMG_2258800x600.jpg

Small is a little heavier but still portable :laugh:
    IMG_4685800x600.jpg
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    All the time.

BGEMiniaccessories006.jpg

BGEWhitePizza0002.jpg

BGEMiniRackofLamb004.jpg

BGEminipigroast0007.jpg

BGEminismokedporkbutt0013.jpg

BGEminismokedporkbutt0016.jpg

I made my indirect setup but Tom's mini wooring will get you a good indirect setup so you can cook anything on your mini.
    Have fun.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    You guys are giving me some really great photos for my Mini Movie II. Keep it up. I love it!

Funny thing is that I don't have a single photo of stuff I cooked on Maggie Mini. I guess I'd better keep a camera in The Coop.

Spring "A Camera Is A Neceggssary Eggcessory" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    That is what the Mini Woo is make for. Just order the 2 8" stones from Amazon.
    miniegg_010.jpg
    Just put one stone on the lower arms
    miniegg_008.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    I lernt :ermm: the hard way, that the Mini Kim Woo from Tom works a whole lot better by flipping the fire ring upside down so there is a solid surface all the way around and none of those dips . . .
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

I love the mini but I am with John, other than portability, with that little of a price difference I wouldn't buy a mini.

GG
  • Le Oeuf Vert
    Le Oeuf Vert Posts: 512
    I have seen that last photo pop up on the forum a couple times. It really shows one's love for the Egg.