Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What does it take to put an eggfest together?

Options
fasteddiem
fasteddiem Posts: 212
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've never been to an eggfest but I'm planning on making a few in Indiana this summer.

My question is what does it require to put an eggfest together? Mothership approval? Sponsors? What happens during fest?

I live in Cincinnati and think it would be a perfect location to have a fest that could draw from Cincinnati(Porkopolis as we are nicknamed!) Dayton, Columbus, Lexington, Lousiville, Indy (All 90 minutes or less to drive to Cincinnati)...I'd love to make it happen just have no idea what it entails or how to even begin to make it happen!

Any help would be appreciated!

Eddie

Comments

• Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    Options
    Ask "Mickey"! He did a fine job at his Salado gathering.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    John would be good to talk to and Tim and LC and poot for the Fl one. a ton of work, long list of good help and love of the egg. you are in for a treat if yo have not been to one :) bestest time ever LOL
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    If your fest is going to be a BEFE, By Eggers, For Eggers...1st change your cell phone plan to unimited! The 1st year, I had 2 to 3 hundered in over charges...for 3 months before the fest. Form an LLC, get an accountant, and be ready to personnally be on the hook for 30k to 40k. Enlist your local dealer, get a host hotel, Liablility Ins, and a place to hold it. After you get all that under your belt. Call me, I would be glad to help. Really! Good luck..
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    A side trip to Jungle Jims. In fact, why not ask them to sponsor and provide space. Yes.
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Options
    After doing several Egg demos for my company, starting several mo. in advance I would plan on at least ONE YEAR of planning to work out all the stuff that needs to be done. Right now all reliable Eggers have their plans up thru Eggtober fest. Then Football season kicks in. I don't know if I could pull a demo off right now, but I have some irons in the fire, T B A later. Ronnie :):):)
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    First, get a web page designed! Look at some of the fests in the Eggfest Central for ideas. Next, find a good venue and a dealer who will be willing to supply the eggs and the accessories at an attractive price. Get your banner designed and put up in the Eggfest Central list above on this page. If you can, get the C of C or Tourism board to help promote your event. Get a host hotel lined up. Arrange for a suitable place for a Meet and Greet and an after-party if you're going to have these. The list goes on and on as you start thinking your way through the process. There's also vendors and sponsors to contact. It's a big job.........I know I'm not remembering everything here! Good luck with it. Look up my web site :
    http://www.mountainegg.com/index.php

Use any info here you want with my full permission! :)
  • fasteddiem
    Options
    Guys,

Thanks for the great Information...I should have been more specific...I plan on learning this year at the fests and work to get it on the calendar for next year (In addition my wife is expecting our second child in 3 weeks). I worked with a bunch of special events being in the restaurant business and have a lot of contacts in the various industries that would be required to get this going. Just a few specific questions....

How is money paid...Is there and entrance ticket and a separate ticket for those who wish to taste other's cooking? Are there contests (ex. best ribs, chili, brisket, etc.) If so, what are the typical prizes for such events.

When working with a BGE dealer, do they have to pay to have demo eggs brought in to be sold? Do people pay for them in advance, or do people bring their own?

Do eggers bring their own food? Should I arrange an in- town butcher shop to provide cuts of beef, pork, chix etc. at a discount and make them a sponsor?

How do you contact companies to seek sponsorship...ceramic grill store, bad byron's, dizzy pig, bbq guru, stoker etc? What do they provide towards the event?

Is there typically an opening party, golf outing, fest, closing party?

Thanks for the information!!

Eddie
  • fasteddiem
    Options
    PS...Jungle Jim's would be a dream spot!!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You will need lots of the following(and the order changes all the time):
    friends
    time
    money
    dealer
    distributer
    wife who understands
    and more friends as you have pissed the old ones off by now :laugh:
    good to have a city behind you
    some more money
    THE VERY MOST IMPORTANT ITEM IS LOTS OF EGGHEAD FRIENDS TO COUNT ON AND WILL ANSWER THE PHONE (((BY FAR THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS EGGHEAD FRIENDS)))
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fasteddiem
    Options
    Mickey,

I don't have a bunch of Egghead friends yet...but I think that will change over the next year! Would It be ok if I email you directly some additional questions?

Thanks,

Eddie
  • grillmandan
    grillmandan Posts: 270
    Options
    Guts, Patience, thick skin, and lots of free time.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    If that don't scare the lump out of him, nothing will. :lol: