Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Last Sunday's cook: Churrasco Fajitas! (pic heavy)

Rezen73Rezen73 Posts: 356
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
a wee late, but damn it's been a busy week! We just got our doggie out of quarantine on Wednesday! :D

Anyway... so last Sunday, we had South American style (Churrasco) Fajitas with Chimichurri, lots of sides, and homemade tortillas (was inspired by Florida Grillin' Girl!)...

First, I made the chimichurri sauce/marinade.

Ingredients: freshly chopped parsley & cilantro (pain in the butt removing the stems!), red pepper flakes, oregano, marjoram, olive oil, and red wine vinegar... and of course salt & pepper.

IMG_5713.jpg

quick run through the blitzer:

IMG_5714.jpg

Finally made it down to the local butcher. Must be pretty good, the place was PACKED, we were all like sardines!

Got two skirt steaks (and some pork fat back), and smothered the skirt steaks with the chimichurri sauce...

IMG_5716.jpg

I reserved some chimichurri ... this stuff is good! :D

IMG_5717.jpg

Ingredients for the shrimp marinade ... scotch bonnet, freshly chopped ginger, a few cloves of garlic, some cilantro, and lemon. mmmmm good stuff.

IMG_5718.jpg

The shrimp take a dive in the marinade:

IMG_5719.jpg

Made some pico de gallo too ... chopped tomatoes, white onions, red onions, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, jalapenos, S&P...

IMG_5721.jpg

Also guacamole ... 2 coarsely chopped avacados, red onions, cilantro, zested/juiced lime juice, and garlic...

IMG_5722.jpg

Julienned cabbage:

IMG_5723.jpg

Thinly sliced baby radishes:

IMG_5725.jpg

Thinly sliced English cucumber:

IMG_5729.jpg

For the tortillas, I based my version on a recipe that I found on a blog called "Homesick Texan" ... seems fitting, since I'm a homesick Texan in Scotland! ;) Main difference, I used lard that I rendered last Saturday, instead of vegetable oil.

Tortilla dough balls, resting:

IMG_5731.jpg

Tortillas, rolled out and ready to go on the griddle. I know, why didn't I cook them on the egg? Crap reason, but honestly, I ran out of time. I need another egg!

IMG_5732.jpg

On the griddle, just starting to bubble:

IMG_5733.jpg

Nice and fluffy... these were so good, that we made another batch the next day. The recipe only makes 8, and they were gone the next morning. lol

IMG_5736.jpg

Tortillas all done!

IMG_5734.jpg

Skirt steak churrasco on the egg:

IMG_5737.jpg

Skirt steak churrasco, after flipping:

IMG_5741.jpg

Shrimp done. Cooked these in a cast iron skillet on the egg. Took about 2 or 3 minutes. Notice the one giant shrimp ... wish they were all that size. So juicy and plump. :D

IMG_5738.jpg

Skirt steak churrasco done:

IMG_5742.jpg

Churrasco Fajitas & Grilled shrimp with chimichurri, pico de gallo, guacamole, and homemade tortillas, plated:

IMG_5744.jpg

Extremely yummy meal, will definitely make again! :D
·

Comments

• Very nice - you are going to make some good friends in Scotland laddie :)
    ·
  • transversaltransversal Posts: 719
    Looks outstanding, but it also looks like a ton of work!!
    ·
  • EggsakleyEggsakley Posts: 1,014
    Amazing.
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,352
    eggscelente!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg wing. 
    2014 Wing King's Apprentice
    ·
  • Roll TideRoll Tide Posts: 505
    Man, that looks awesome!
    ·
  • LDDLDD Posts: 1,225
    fantastico
    context is important :)
    ·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,238
    What a great cook!!!! When you make Haggis :sick: look that good I might consider eating it.....NOT.
    I am sure that is it calot ooler in Scotland, 104 here today!
    The homesick Texan is a good website and has some good recipes. If you need a care package form home, just yell :laugh:
    BTW the tillas looked much better than HEB's :laugh:
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • JLOCKHART29JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    ALOT OF WORK but if it taste half as good as it looks dang sure worth it!! Thanks for taken time with all the pics. ;)
    ·
  • NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,246
    It looks excellent and I know from experience, because I just made something similar two weeks ago from Steven Raichlen's Planet BBQ! It was skirt steak, chimichurri, fried eggs and bacon. Twisted I know but it was delicious!

I have to get off my duff and make my own tortillas like you! Very nice work.
    ·
  • Very nice! As a relocated Texan as well, I believe our mission is to expose others to BBQ as we make new friends. Don't worry, after 30 years away, I still say ya'll.
    ·
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,272
    Terrific meal and pictures!
    ·
  • Great post! Your plated dish looks wonderful.
    Don't you love the homemade tortillas?? Yours look great. I'm glad you tried them.
    ·
  • Austin SmokerAustin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Looks fantastic!! Chimmichuri is a big favorite around our house....btw, don't sweat the stems too much. ;)

Love the shrimp idea...gonna steal that one.
    ·
  • Le Oeuf VertLe Oeuf Vert Posts: 512
    We had Fajitas last night but they didn't look anyway near as appetizing as yours. That meal looks great.
    ·
  • i have got to try that...it looks amazing...

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,646
    Everyting looks outstanding. Really impressed by the home made tortillas. Way to knock it out of the park.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·