Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butts for 50 people in large egg

Options
Dr Axe
Dr Axe Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Greetings! It's a graduation party, and I need to feed 50 people.

Everything I've read, and from talking to caterers, indicate I need ~ 6 ounces of pulled pork per person. By my calculations, for 50 people, that's 4 8 pound butts.

Has anyone done 4 8 pound butts in the large? I really don't want to pay the local BBQ guy $12.00 / pound, not to mention endure the shame of not doing it myself.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Comments

• 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Options
    I've done more on a medium. You can fit 4 on the grid and try to have them spaced out but they will shrink as they cook. Aim to have them done 3 hours early and store in a cooler until ready to pull.
  • 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Options
    I've done more on a medium. You can fit 4 on the grid and try to have them spaced out but they will shrink as they cook. Aim to have them done 3 hours early and store in a cooler until ready to pull.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    50 divided by 2.4 yields about 21 lbs of pork needed. Real easy to do four on a large.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Here is a post that has pics of a few different setups:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=910137&catid=1#

The most I have done is 3 (9+ lbs each). If you can try to avoid too much hanging over the platesetter in the "jetstream". It tends to dry out the part hanging over.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    This was 68 pounds of butt for my sons graduations party. On the large, full load for 23 hours. Held steady at 230.

graduationcookandsomemore007.jpg

graduationcookandsomemore008.jpg

graduationcookandsomemore.jpg

graduationcookandsomemore013.jpg

Relax and have fun!!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

The amount of pulled pork will depend a little who and how much met you are serving as well as how many sides.

A good rule of thump is take the number of people and divide by 2.4. That's about 21# so you will have plenty, plan for some full guests or some leftovers.

Looks like there are some good examples of multiple butt cooks above.

• ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    6oz of pulled pork per person seems to assume none of your guests will be male teenagers. I've seen some of them put away a pound a piece! Definitely make sure you have buffered in extra for those that will eat until they're full, as opposed to those with manners. :)
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Dr Axe
    Dr Axe Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks, you're all amazing.

And it's mostly girls and family - trying to keep the number of teenage boys to a minimum :)
  • PhilsGrill
    Options
    I've been using your 2.4 number... but what about shrinkage??? Assuming 40% shrinkage then the numbers don't work. Thoughts?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

"trying to keep the number of teenage boys to a minimum" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Good luck on that program. It's kind of like flies and egg'n.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Odd, I just posted a response and submitted, the post doesn't show...

First, I must ask how is the 2.4 rule working out for your cooks?

The 2.4 number is used for raw meat. I have used it when cooking bone in and bone out and always seem to end up with some leftovers. I usually purchase a little more up to 5# extra, just as a safety measure.

Pete (Celtic Wolf) used a more involved formula however, the 2.4 rule ran extremely close to his published calculations and was much easier than doing a much more involved calculation to end up close to the same result.

Kent
  • PhilsGrill
    Options
    OK I was just wondering if I/we shouldn't add for shrinkage.

Thanks.