Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Transportable Egg

Options
407BGE
407BGE Posts: 187
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have an old medium egg that is going to be doing some duty camping / tailgating. I'm going to build a carrier for it to make it easier to move / use.

The one item that I'm concerned about is the internals of the egg. Moving and having them rattle around has me worrying about the internals cracking.

I'm thinking about using a rutland gasket on the bottom / outside / top of the fire box (three separate "rings" although for the bottom it would not be complete. In addition a ring around the outside of the fire ring This would provide a cushion when the car hit a bump etc.

Good idea? Bad Idea? Terrible idea?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

The Rutland has a heat tolerance, not sure about the adhesive. The Lump if glowing orange is 1200° - 1400°, if white'ish up to 2000°. Red 900°- 1100°.

Why not just get some thick corrugated box material or even some thick plastic that us used for computer cases, tv's and such. Take along some inexpensive trash bags and once you are set up put those plastic pieces can be stored in the bags. To keep your hands clean use some of the brown or white cotton garden gloves (cheap at Harbor Freight). Those gloves will keep you hands clean when handling grids, lump even when stirring down the ash in the lump bed. I change out the gloves in about 60 to 90 days.

GG
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Personally, I'd take the "guts" out when traveling. Wrap them in an old blanket/towels/whatever and reassemble when you get there. I wouldn't trust them banging around inside the EGG.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    i leave mine full of lump, firebox is slightly cracked anyways :laugh: been like this for maybe 4 years now. B) i do slip corrugated cardboard between dome and base and i loosen and reseat the bands so it fits nice,i also slip some cardboard under the whole thing

transporting

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=686036&catid=1

this was from cooking, not transporting

100_1654.jpg

100_1655.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,303
    Options
    How about a spacer made of insulation board?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I don't let the eggs out much, but when I do I do the same.