Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ever grilled avocado? did it dry out?

deepsouth
deepsouth Posts: 1,796
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i've been grilling avocados for a couple months now and i'm really loving them. recently, someone saw me grill one and told me they thought it just dried it out and ruined it. said he cooked it direct for only 5 minutes. he was cooking it with chicken, so i'll assume he wasn't at 600+ degrees, rather in the mid 300's....

i'd appreciate anyone's thoughts and/or opinions.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    how do you grill them? I would think split them in half and only grill for a short time????
  • deepsouth
    crghc98 wrote:
    how do you grill them? I would think split them in half and only grill for a short time????

that's it.... cut in half, peel or don't peel. i season with olive oil and salt and pepper or dp shakin the tree and let it stay on until it warms. maybe five minutes, depending on the temp.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    "said he cooked it direct for only 50 minutes."

I'm thinking the chicken was dry too :laugh:

Assume that meant 5 minutes. maybe the Avocado itself wasn't ripe or in prime shape?
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC07644a.jpg

I think 50 minutes is way too long. I've done them for 2 or 3 minutes with a really hot fire, but usually cook them at lower temps until they are warmed through or until they have a nice look to 'em.

I like to brush them with a little extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. When the balsamic starts to caramelize, they are done. Serve with lemon wedges or grate some Parmesan or Maytag Blue cheese on them. Anyways, mine always take less than 10 minutes, you just have to lift and peek to check them.

DSC07642b.jpg

The filling is not necessary, the photo below has a cucumber yogurt dip. I have put salsa in them or even a little creamy salad dressing (like Cesar or Ranch). Whatever you like.

DSC07650a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • deepsouth
    sorry, meant to type 5 (five) minutes....
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    That makes a world of difference. So it they are dry after 5 minutes, maybe oil them a few minutes earlier. Can't say I've ever had a dry one.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • deepsouth
    thirdeye wrote:
    That makes a world of difference. So it they are dry after 5 minutes, maybe oil them a few minutes earlier. Can't say I've ever had a dry one.

me either. how in the fire can you dry out an avocado in five minutes?
  • those avocado's look AWESOME...i'll be doing that this weekend!
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    I can't find the pics right now but, one of my favorites is a smoked/grilled guacamole. cut in half, fill cavity with salsa and grill skin side down until heated through and happy then sprinkle a little mexican cheese and fresh cilantro on top and finish until melted. Take some tort chips and dig it out. YUMMY!
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    deepsouth wrote:
    how in the fire can you dry out an avocado in five minutes?
    Maybe they're not very good at picking avocados?
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Oh man that looks like a winner. Adding to my bucket list B)