Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Burn. Fire starter? Dryer lint ok?

Options
alphabrace
alphabrace Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,
Tonight is the night! My first cook on my large. Can I use dryer lint to start the fire or .....
Thanks!

Comments

• atlpats
    atlpats Posts: 102
    Options
    I'm sure it's flammable. A couple of other things you can use if you don't have actual fire starters are a paper towel dipped in vegetable oil and isopropyl alcohol (first aid antiseptic) you can use that like the traditional lighter fluid. It doesn't give off any chemical smells, but stand back it is highly flammable.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    simplest safest way is to take a couple of paper towels and twist into a "rope" put them in a plastic baggies and drizzle with some vegi oil. you do not have to soak just damp. I use three and place in the lump with the ends sticking up so they are easy to light and a few pieces of small lump over the center. they will act as slow burning wicks :) daisy wheel off and draft door open and give about 5 minute and you will be going good! this is how we light if we do not have the weed burner handy. You can make up a bunch at a time and just keep out with your bbq stuff in a zip lock bag.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I did make a "starter cube" once with some dryer lint with candle wax dripped over. It worked. Lint catches fire really easily, but lump is usually at least 80% carbon, which doesn't catch fire till around 1200F. Might have to use quite a lot of lint.
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Options
    I use paper towel with vegetable oil. You can also just spray the towel with Pam.

I use a chimney starter and loosely wrap a half sheet of newspaper around the towel to get it started.
  • Jolly Bill Barker
    Options
    Isn't your underwear in that lint? :sick:

Buy the little weed burner at one of the hardware stores. Works great and you don't get any sparks on your arm. It uses the little propane tanks and has a arm that is about three feet long. It is self starting and throws plenty of BTU to get the lump going.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    If you are lazy like me:
    photo-10-3.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    I wouldn't use dryer lint. There's too many synthetic fibers in most clothing that could leave spots of plastic goo on your brand-new egg. I'd either go the oil-on-paper-towel or 91% rubbing alcohol method.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I guess you could use about anything, however, do you want whatever you use to be in your lump or at worse aroma/flavor in your food.

Not sure if this is what I would want to conserve/save money.

Use oil & paper towel that is about as close to free as one could get, but more importantly it gives a great light.

• transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    Bill, you just made me spit my morning coffee!! That was a classic!! Lightin your lump with your drawers is something I never considered!! I am in tears!!
  • transversal
    Options
    Mickey, where did you buy your weedburner? Does it run on propane? Self ignitor or not?
  • transversal
    Options
    Grampaw.....could you use the lint out of your navel?
  • transversal
    Options
    I can't catch my breath over here.......help!! help!!
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Get an $8 electric starter. You can find them just about anywhere these day. Dump the lump, jam the starter in there and 8 minutes later you have a nice fire. It doesn't get any easier and the starter last for years. I wish I would have figured this out years ago because I've tried just about every other method.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Hungry Celeste
    Options
    She's right--too many plastic particles in that lint. Rayon, modal, elastane, acetate, polyester, nylon: unless you're some sort of natural fiber fanatic, your dryer lint is probably full of petrochemical derived plastics. (Don't even want to think about the fire-retardant coatings on children's sleepwear.) I'd use newspaper before dryer lint, but I do use a wadded paper towel doused w/used cooking oil.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    transversal wrote:
    Grampaw.....could you use the lint out of your navel?

Thanks for the laugh!
  • transversal
    Options
    What about soakin' navel lint in propane?
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Navel lint twisted in a kleenex and soaked in EVOO. B)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Never get any navel lint... Clean navels on this end. :laugh: :laugh:

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I use a Weber starter chimney with just 2 pieces of newspaper. usually hot enough for burgers in < 10 minutes. I really hate to see people buying starter fluid by the gallons. There is a road-side BBQer near my office that uses way too much - I stopped buying from him.
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Oh come on...... I can see it now.

www.grandpasnavellintfirestarters.com
  • psalzer
    psalzer Posts: 108
    Options
    A plain propane torch works well for me!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

It sure is hard on the belly button though.

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

And if dryer fabric softener sheets are used, even more treasures.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Tractor Supply puts them on sell often for it seems $15 (under $20) or so. Runs on propane and is not self ignitor.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• transversal
    Options
    Gotcha....thanks. See where Harbor Freight has'em, too.
  • transversal
    Options
    You're right, Grampaw!! And some Eggheads who don't check down there but every three months or so really have a problem. Bacchus said he knew a guy who didn't check for 6 months and found 10 pounds'a lump in his navel!! He lit it and grilled some oranges. And that's where we got our first introduction to grilled navel oranges!!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    C'mon now, how would a guy get dryer sheets in his navel? That is just silly :laugh:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    I use an electric starter myself. I'll keep the paper towel/oil method in mind for travel though.
  • Fletch 'n Teggxas
    Options
    I'm a newspaper/paper towel under a chimney guy. I've had to rig it back together with metal hangers (forgot about it one day and the brads melted!) but it works fine for me.
  • transversal
    Options
    Steven, he'd have to use a dryer sheet insertion tool. They are available at most home center stores for less tha $20. Well, $28 if you are looking for commercail grade.