Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Singed Newbee ISO Burping Coach

allsidallsid Posts: 422
edited 3:26AM in EggHead Forum
So I got my first egg last weekend and immediately had to start cooking on it. I only had Sat & Sun to use it as I was leaving town for business.

I have been warned, read the manual, and seen the video's on burping the egg, but darn if I did not get whacked by a flare up on Sunday evening.

I need as much information as possible as to how to avoid flare ups, maybe a link to a previous thread.

I am thinking that they are more prevalent at higher temperatures, but am willing to listen and learn from all comments.

Peace & Bacon Grease-

Comments

• Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Go to the 'Naked Whiz' website. Everything you want to know about flashback is there.

I will put up a post with that and other tips in a few minutes.

GG
  • Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    You are right, they occur at higher temps. Just crack the dome open and hold it there for a couple of seconds before you open it all the way :) Scary, isn't it?? :laugh:
    Welcome Aboard :cheer: :cheer:
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Frank, when you get time go checkout Naked Whiz's info. There is an alternative way to avoid the flashbacks. Doug has some great videos and detailed study of the flash back.

Here is a link to a picture of Ross in Ventura's experience.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=605463&catid=1
    [url][/url]

• SundownSundown Posts: 2,913
    Always wear a shirt otherwise you'll burn the hair off your belly for sure!

No shirt? I guarantee a flashback.
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    That would be a forest fire for my bellie. :laugh: :woohoo:
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Welcome to the forum. :)

We all have trimmed a few hairs or will at some point in time. :ermm:
  • 'Q Bruddah'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Welcome to the forum. Just count it as your "ignitiation" :laugh:
  • RaleighGuyRaleighGuy Posts: 207
    I did the exact same thing 1 month ago! Didn't read the manual or watch the dvd because I was too exited to use it. Burnt my gasket (and a lot of my arm hair) completely off. My wife thought it was the funniest thing ever!

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• allsidallsid Posts: 422
    Thanks for the responses & welcome folks!

I will take a peek at the links and recommended site's

The lady friend told me a few days later that she got a good laugh at my burned hair and even made a few nair jokes.

Look forward to reading more on the forum-
  • eggtopiaeggtopia Posts: 73
    I haven't read the Wiz's article yet, but I can give you an observation:

I find the flashback to be much more pronounced when the egg is hot and you are trying to slow it down. For example if I sear steaks at 650 F and then nearly close the flow off to cool it down to bake desert. If I open it as it is in the process of being O2 starved and it gets that rush it will flare up good.

Like others said, open a couple of inches for a few moments then open all the way.
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    Here's a link to my webpage on flashback: Flashback Information

They aren't as dangerous as they look, but it is a good idea to avoid them. Personally, I don't think you should burp the Egg as it will damage your gasket more than you need to. I open the top and bottom vents for 10-15 seconds to allow air into the cooker so that stuff that's going to flash gets burned up inside the cooker. Then slowly open. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    You can get a flashback as low as 350 degrees. The cause is anything that restricts the airflow. This could be closing the vents, or it could be a pile of small chips and small pieces in the cooker which doesn't allow the air to flow through the fire. Then you open the lid, air rushes in and boom goes the dynamite, to quote a viral video.
    The Naked Whiz
  • c tredwellc tredwell Posts: 575
    Welcome to the forum! Be wise, and safe to avoid the "flash"! Had my first draft door flash the other day...another reason not to egg nude...My draft door is about crotch high.. :blink: :blink: :pinch:
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,347
    I have personally seen this on my large, but never on my small. Not sure why...any ideas?
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX