Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cypress table finish question -- Sugied Finish

Options
doubleapex
doubleapex Posts: 82
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to stain/finish my table when it arrives. Has anyone ever done and or seen a sugied finish on the cypress tables? Sounds really interesting...wondering if I can acomplish it as a novice.

here's a description:

The lacy grain of cypress finishes up with a remarkable effect in what is called the Sugied Cypress. The wood is burned over some with the flame of a blow torch which burns the soft parts but not the hard. A soft wire brush is then used to remove the charcoal resulting between the hard streaks of wood. When clean the wood is given a filler or toner coat which lodges in the depressions burned out and gives a contrast to the darker ridges of grain figure. White shellac and wax or flat varnish are then used to finish the surface. This interesting finish cannot be duplicated with any other wood.

Comments

• thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    I've done this effect in crafting with wood but not on cypress. the tendency is to burn too much...a little goes a LONG WAY with the heat. the trick in the table will be getting the flame wide enough to make your passes back and forth even...you will find that you shouldn't have to wire brush it too much if you don't burn in too deep. Test a six foot board first...it would be a lot better than trashing the table. It will require several coats of poly because it will not sink in evenly when you apply the first couple of coats. I would use a wipe on poly. Just my two cents.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Sounds like it will look cool, but will then be a total PITA to clean! :blink: I have visions of BBQ sauce down in the lower spots/grooves....Wouldn't be something I would want to try to keep clean. Just my thoughts....
  • doubleapex
    doubleapex Posts: 82
    Options
    thanks for the replys so far.

little chef--i think the coating you put on top of the table fills in those "burn" grooves, so it's a level surface. I could be wrong... (maybe thebtls could chime in) but it seems to make sense
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Member RRP does wood projects and has a good knowledge base. You might want to contact him to see if he has any insight.

Ron has been pretty with some of my projects.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    thanks for the compliment - I answered his email essentially saying IMHO while that is a stunning finish inside I don't think he will be happy with all his efforts after the table gets used and dirty.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    fat fingers :whistle:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Well deserved Ron, I appreciate the help and your willingness to share your experience.

Kent
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    I have not heard of a sugied finish but here's some pics of mine with just 1 coat of stain, and 4 coats of helmsman spar varnish on the horizontal and then paint/primer in one on the vertical. I think it turned out pretty good and the grain contrast pops. I hope these post.

2011-05-27180242.jpg

[/img2011-05-27180314.jpg

2011-05-27180341.jpg
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    For what it is worth. I bought my egg [large] with the large full sized table from a hardware store that was closing that store. They had used the egg and table as a floor piece. They had varnished the table and it did not last 1 year in our Indiana winters. It flaked and peeled badly. I have to admit I bought the cover but did not use it. Just a pain to take off and then wait for the egg to cool and put it on.
    So I took the egg out this early spring and after a day of sanding I got most the the varnish off. Thankful they only did what you could see not underneath. I then got my spray gun and hooked it to my compressor and used a tinted deck stain [Cabot].
    Looks good and I will see how well it holds up. The deck stain has done well for over 2 years on my deck.
    So I expected it to do good on the table.
    You know pretty is nice but if you use your egg it pretty is more work that I want or need.
    E