Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Cracker-thin pizza crust

BeerBQBeerBQ Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking for a recipe for cracker style crust. I've been to the pizza making site and tried a couple with not so spectacular results. Crust was good, but still didn't have that crunch that I seek. Anyone have a good recipe?

Comments

• Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,478
    I have had a few flat bread pizza crusts and they are nice and crunchy.

Bread, Flat, Hungry Celeste

1 I don't have the book at hand, but it was a simple, straight dough: IIRC, a cup of flour, 1/2 tsp yeast, and 1/4 cup water. I kneaded by hand until supple (maybe 10 mins), then let it rest while I chopped half an onion and made the filling: mixed the onion w/2 T softened butter, 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp hot paprika, a handful of chopped parsley, and several shakes of red pepper flakes.
    2 Back to the rested dough: divided it into four, and rolled/stretched/pressed it thinly on an oiled surface. Spread filling on one side, fold the dough over it, then fold over again, turn the whole package over, and strech/press it out again. Fold again, flip, and stretch one more time. Baked on a preheated stone around 450-500 degrees until well-colored on bottom, then flipped and cooked until nicely browned on other side.
    3 The dough wants to resist, so you just have to be patient and let it rest a bit between stretches. It probably would have been much easier to stretch if I had waited 30 mins between mixing & stretching, but I didn't want to wait!

Recipe Type
    Bread

Recipe Source
    Author: Anissa Helou's Mediterranean Street Food

Source: BGE Forum, Hungry Celeste, 2011/01/31
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,009
    While I'm sure one can make a crunchy crust at home with the Egg, I'm not certain a real cracker crust can be made without a dough roller. from what I've read, cracker crusts are especially dense doughs that are usually fed through a roller that exerts lots more pressure and makes the pough thinner than a person can with a roller.

The crunchiest I have made was with a very slack dough, about 65 - 70 weight of water to flour. Very hard to work with, had to do the final stretching on the peel. Unfortunately, the stuff was so wet that the parchment became soggy. I waited till the stone on the platesetter in the Egg was 475 F according to my IR thermometer, which took quite awhile. I left the pizza on for about 3 minutes. It was not burnt, but was quite crunchy. Unfortunately. more like a graham cracker than a cracker pizza.
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    I make thin crunchy crust pizza quite often, without a roller. Many folks more knowledgeable and talented than I have stated that a roller will crush any bubbles in the dough, preventing it from bubbling during the cook.
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 15,393
    cracker crust is something ive never seen up here, we have a lot of really thin crust pizzas and can get them crunchy but not cracker like, for those its really high temps, minimal ingredients and super thin crusts, i try and stretch out 3 pies from a single dough ball. from reading a while back trying to understand what exactly a cracker crust is i seen starting with a wet dough and rolling hard to get it really thin and applying alot more flour into the dough while rolling so its not a wet dough after prepping. now what they do to cook it is something i have to see and experience because i dont know what im after. some of the recipes are calling for a slightly oiled pan, the thin pressed and rolled dough, docking the dough, higher heats 500/600, a minute or two prebake, then the toppings. maybe some of those things might help. it definitely doesnt sound like a crispy thin crust done high temps on a stone. pizza is so regional its sometimes hard to get right. we have greek pizza up here, nothing to do with ingredients from the med, its a heavily oiled bottom sinker pie covered with grease, actually quite saturated with grease as in put the box your taking home on a pile of newspapers as it may/will soak thru. almost nothing out there on a newengland greek pizza
  • RascalRascal Posts: 3,346
    I love a thin crust pizza, but not crispy. I was common to find it in NYC when I was growing up, but since I moved away, I've found it hard to match. The whole pie was very thin and often served right out of the oven on a metal pan. And the mozzarella was the real McCoy and would stretch almost as far as your arm could extend. Can't tell how many times I burned the roof of my mouth while devouring that savory pizza!! 8 - ),,,
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 15,393
    we have a great wood fired thin crust droopy pizza style place nearby, its so good i really have no desire to make it anymore :laugh: back of the oven they start the pie at 1000 degrees, then pull it forward during the cook to a 600 degree spot, done in just a few minutes.
  • RascalRascal Posts: 3,346
    Once you try it, you're hooked!! I'm so jealous!! 8 - ),,,
  • mentsminmentsmin Posts: 29
    Hmm, I'd like to know the secret as well.

I grew up in St. Louis and love the cracker-thin pizza that's most popular there...
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 4,074
    I'm also interested. I went to Switzerland earlier this year, and had a type of pizza called flammkuchen (originated in Germany I believe). I have been wanting to try to this recipe on the egg:

190202_1726791702702_1625700757_1609084_3107080_n.jpg

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 4,074
    Thanks Kim...that looks great! ;)

Now I just have to figure out exactly what "Speck" is.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 
  • lowercasebilllowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    i used king arthur italian flour [low gluten] and followed alton brown and/or wolfgang pucks recipe. [easy to find thru google] it was crispy break apart like a cracker.
  • BeerBQBeerBQ Posts: 111
    Wow! Thanks to all who replied. At work, so late responding. I'll take a gander at some of the recipes and see what I can come up with. Been awhile since I posted pics, so hope to start throwing some pics up soon. Thanks again! Not sure what I would do without this forum.