Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

V-Rack ideas for small BGE

Options
flyboy320
flyboy320 Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know there is a V-rack for the small, but no local store carries it for the small in my area, and might take up to two weeks to order. Does anyone have any ideas for a DIY version, or a non BGE version that may work instead?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Why are you wanting a V rack for the small? Why not use a raised grid or cook on the grid?

There are Rib Racks for about $5 at Walmart, HomeDepot and Lowes. With a little foil they will somewhat work the same way.

• flyboy320
    Options
    Ya I guess I should have said what it was for... :P

I did some great ribs the other day, but on the small I can only fit one rack (cut in half) and I figured with a V-rack I could fit more on if I wanted...
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

The $5 rib racks should work great on the small. Some folks will just stack the racks, I am not sure how that will work out on the bark but the ribs will be goooood.

When you get time check out Chubby's GrateMates and I would think tjv (Cermaic Grill Store) had some accessories that would be useful.

• flyboy320
    Options
    OK, thanks a million for the $5 rib rack idea, I'll keep my eyes open next time in one of those store....I think they'll be just what I'm after.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Just break out the hacksaw, no biggie.
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    Just in case you were wondering how many ribs you can fit flat on a small, I did three racks, split in half and stacked on top of each other. I probably could have added a fourth in, by splitting it in half and standing each half on edge at the front and back of the pile. I rotated them about every hour. I did have to pull the thermometer out a bit, to keep from stabbing the upper layer.

b1WEe.jpg

All that smoke is from the apple and hickory wood chunks.

Oh, and the wood dowel sticking out of the top of the stack, was to stop the top layer from sliding off. Once they got warmed up, those suckers got slippery!
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Nice looking cook.

• WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    Options
    I bought a delux set and use the short ones most of the time, the long ones work well for raised grid applications or gasket level in the medium.