Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Base and Lid Size Mismatch...Help!

BostonEggSox
BostonEggSox Posts: 116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wondering if anyone has run into this and if it's a problem. I had an old large lid that I have been saving as a spare part. Well I finally needed it (long story).

I affixed a brand new gasket to the lid and then placed it on top of the base to let the weight adhere the gasket well.

I noticed that the diameters were completely different. The lid is about 1/4" smaller. I'm afraid the new gasket will burn off inside.

Has anyone ran into this or able to shed some light?

Thanks!

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Your gasket may toast a bit but you should be ok. If it becomes a problem then get a high temperature gasket and cook on.

• Reverend BSB
    Reverend BSB Posts: 157
    A couple years ago the Large Egg became slightly larger. We first noticed this at the store I work at when the eggs no longer fit properly in the tables and outdoor kitchens. Also until BGE changed the insides there was extra space between the fire ring/fire box and egg.

Basically is your egg dome is before the change it will be an inch or so too small. I would recommend taking off the new gasket, and putting a Rutland gasket on the base only. See if it still seals. If so you should be fine, if not just bite the bullet and buy a new dome.
  • BostonEggSox
    BostonEggSox Posts: 116
    Thanks for the feedback. I got the high temp white gasket and adhered it beofre realizing the mismatch. I will fire it up tonight (per Grandpa Grub) at high temp to clean, and burn the upper gasket. If all is OK I'll stick with it for now. If not, on to the Rutland gasket on the base only.