Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Learned something new last n ight.

Options
MickeyT
MickeyT Posts: 607
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Before I cook, I normally stir my lump around with my grid lifter then light. Last night I did something different. Opened up my lid and lit the lump (without stirring) where the hot parts of the fire were. easy to see. This indicated to me the air flow. I lit that in three spots with my Mapp torch. 5 minutes later, 450 degrees.[p]Wild. Going to try it again tonight to make sure it wasn't a fluke.[p]Mick

Comments

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    MickeyT, It wasn't a fluke. Read about that here or another forum.

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    MT:[p]For grilling: Light first, regardless of fire starter or torch with vents wide open. Once it is going good, give it a stir or three to sift ashes and mix the lump. Then add more lump based on the cook and adjust the vents for your desired temperatures.[p]For low and slow cooks it is a clean firebox with a fresh lump foundation and a few second generation lump chunks to start the fire off.[p]Just some basic thoughts on a very important subject.

• wdan
    wdan Posts: 261
    Options
    MickeyT,
    Have had the same experiences. But sooner or later you do have to pay the piper and clean out the ash...you'll know when you got your vents wide open and you can't hit 300 in the dome.[p]The tricky part is knowing when that sub-300 moment will come. If I had a quick cook the last time and I'm feeling a tad lazy or otherwise in a rush, I'll add a bit more lump and light her off. I've gotten away with it many times. There have been other times too, however, when I can't get it warm enough to melt candle wax. There is a lot of variability in the ash content of at least the lump I use. This is the wild card in play here.