Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp Control help for a Newbie Please

T-47
T-47 Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I’m going to try the recipe for Dead Simple Spatchcocked Chicken, and it says to stabilize the temp at 350. This is only my 2nd cook and my first was a blazing hot one...that was easy :)
Can anyone give me a hint as to what will be the best way to achieve this 350? Will this temp control be achieved with a full fire ring? Do I use fewer coals? Or will it be simply a function of the door and exhaust? Save this newbie with your wealth of knowledge!

Comments

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    T-47,[p]When you add your lump just fill it up. Most fire control (excluding ultra low temps; temp < 200) is done via air control. I would suggest something of about the bottom vent open .25" and the slide top just open a bit.[p]Watch as temp climbs and if needed start closing your openings when it gets within 50 degrees of your target temp.[p]Regards,
    Jethro

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    T-47,
    Open the lower vent all the way and have no top on while lighting...if you are using some type of starter cube you will see the temp climb quickly as the thermometer is sensing the flame of the burning starter..the temp will rise then fall to around 150°...as it begins to rise again keep an eye on it, once it is around 300° close your lower vent to 1/4 to 1/2" and place the daisy wheel on with the daisy holes all open and the slide around a 1/4 to 1/2" open..make small adjustments closed as you get closer to your desired 350°...nuttin to it...relax and enjoy..HTH[p]Wess

• T-47
    T-47 Posts: 84
    You guys are great thanks! Can I ask a thermometer question? After my first cook, I see my thermometer only dropped to 100 and ahs remained in that position? I will recalibrate it prior to the cook but is that usual, and has either of you guys replaced it with another brand that can go higher?
  • T-47,[p]For whatever reason, these thermometers don't go all the way down room temp. That doesn't mean it's innaccurate for cooking temps.[p]Mine did the same thing, but when I calibrated it, the temp at 209 F was spot on for my location.
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    CyberDawg,[p]350 on mine is with the bottom vent wide open and the daisy wheel only open on top.[p]hth
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    T-47,
    I have a web page on temperature control if you are interested:[p]TNW

[ul][li]Temperature Control[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    The Naked Whiz,
    Wow, that was the first time I had seen this particular page on your site... very well done![p]I am not an expert, but also not a newbie; just somewhere in between. The text you provide can halp all of us, novice and experienced.[p]I especially like the part on the Guru. I have seen so much talk about it, but did not really understand the 'ins&outs' of how it worked. The graphics put it all in perspective. Thanx Doug[p]Banker John

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    T-47, once I reach 325 I cover the top with the daisey wheel open to just the vent holes, and the bottom wide open, when I open the lid for tourning I alway close the bottom vent, I have had flareups while turning chicken and needed a rake to close the lid.