Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sliced Pork?

Nole Egger
Nole Egger Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So,my egg arrives on Sunday. My wife loves Sonny's sliced pork, I want to make that for her as we now live in NY and there are no Sonny's anywhere close. I am pretty sure if I get a nice butt and smoke it up I can get close for her. She does not like pulled pork at all. Any ideas on temp (should I still cook it as high as a pulled one?) or anything else that might help in attempting to duplicate (or as close as possible) the sliced pork from Sonny's?

Thanks all!!

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Temp-wise, I've always heard (but never tried) that if you want to slice it, you should cook it to 170-180. If you want to pull it, you should cook it to 195-205.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Don't know about Sonny's pork but I would do a boneless butt and pull around 150-155F. It will creep up about 5-8 degrees. Should slice very nicely.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Why not cook her a nice pork loin?? Will be the best sliced pork you have ever had! Put on a nice rub, cook until 137* internal temp, rest 10 minutes, slice, and devour! Serve your favorite sauce on the side. Perfect beginning! B) (I also admit, this WILL top Sonny's!) :) Welcome to the addiction! :laugh:
  • c tredwell
    c tredwell Posts: 575
    Sonny's...really? :blush: Whole pork loin or tenderloin will slice up nicely...go indirect till 140F, then sauce it up! Good luck...you'll never go to Sonny's again.....God willing.... ;)
  • Nole Egger
    I know Sonny's :( But hey, I will try to make her happy with it. It is about the only place that has sliced pork and she has no tolerance at all for pulled. I on the other hand like just about anything at a BBQ restaurant or nearly any smoked meat for that matter.
  • Little Chef
    Chris...EXACTLY!!! That is exactly where my head was at as well!! :sick::sick::whistle: If Sonny's is the pinnacle, they have a TON of great food ahead at home!!! B) :laugh:
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Listen to Little Chef.

She KNOWS what she is talking about. That will be one FANTASTIC pork loin. It won't matter if you slice it thick or if you slice it thin. It will be the BEST sliced pork either of you have tasted. You will both forget about Sonny's. Just don't overcook it. 137 is perfect (although I usually cook it to 135ish ;) because it's easier to read on the Thermopen). Don't forget the resting period.

That's my go-to cook when I really want to "show off" my cooking skills.

BOB
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    What LC said. DO NOT OVERCOOK IT! :)
  • BobinFla
    Nole Egger wrote:
    I know Sonny's :( But hey, I will try to make her happy with it. It is about the only place that has sliced pork and she has no tolerance at all for pulled. I on the other hand like just about anything at a BBQ restaurant or nearly any smoked meat for that matter.
    :laugh: :laugh:

New Egg? That will change!

BOB
  • Nole Egger
    Hey she is from Jersey and not into BBQ that much. Sonny's is far from the pinnacle, but it got her to go to BBQ (if you can call it that) with me and I didn't have to beg and plead with her.

I'm hoping that I can really hone my talents on the egg and show her that there is 1000x better stuff...
  • Nole Egger
    Hey she is from Jersey and not into BBQ that much. Sonny's is far from the pinnacle, but it got her to go to BBQ (if you can call it that) with me and I didn't have to beg and plead with her.

I'm hoping that I can really hone my talents on the egg and show her that there is 1000x better stuff...
  • Little Chef
    Bob: I pull mine at a lower temp, too... :whistle: . Usually in the 130-135 range, then rest. It ALWAYS hits the 137* needed. I just try to break the newbies in slow... :laugh: :whistle: . We still have people that freak if there is the tinyest bit of 'pink' in pork. Do NOT ask me what I pull my tenderloins at, and expect to get a real answer. :laugh:

Thanks for your kind words btw. ;)

Been meaning to ask...where in FL are you? Many Florida eggers...
  • BobinFla
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Mine always gets to 140 if I am sharing. Less for just me. :woohoo:

I bet that I can guess the temperature. :whistle:

I'm in Orlando. I'll be cooking the Sam's Challenge in Orlando the last weekend in August.

BOB
  • Little Chef
    Nole Egger: And you WILL!!!! I grew up in the North East, and not a fan of smokey foods myself! (Which is my guess is what is a turn off for her...) The Egg can do FAR more than BBQ! You will have the most amazing adventure with your new Egg! Welcome.
  • BobinFla
    Egged food does NOT have to taste smokey. It can, but it doesn't have to.

In MY opinion, smoke is just another spice. Too much of it can ruin your cook. Just the right amount can make some things heavenly. And I grew up in the South with smoked food. A little goes a long way.

BOB
  • BobinFla
    We seem to be on exactly the same page tonight. ;)
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    I love a good pork loin roast or tenderloin as well as the next person, but I also love a butt cooked just the way we do for pulled pork, but pulled off at 170°, foiled and rested, and sliced.

It's just a different mouth experience, and delicious.
    Judy in San Diego