Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Long Cooks

Options
otisdog
otisdog Posts: 187
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been getting some really long butt cook times lately. Last one was 20 hours on a 8lb butt before that 18 hours on a 7.5 lb butt.
I've started clipping the pit probe to the egg's therm stem with pit set at 225.
I'm wondering if monitoring the temp at the top of the dome is the issue or maybe my guru might be out of calibrations (is such a thing possible?)

Any ideas.

Before I got the guru I cooked a lot of butts that came off in the normal time range. I know the forum standard is 250 but the guru holds 225 well and that temp is recommended in a lot of places.

Would 25 degress make that much difference?

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    My idea is to cook the butts at 350 for 2 1/2 hours or until internal temp hits 160. Double wrap in HDAF and cook at 350 until 190-200 (or bone wiggle test works)...then drain of juice and put the butt wrapped in HDAF in towels in a cooler for 1 hr...pull and put defatted juice on the butt...

You are eating in 6 hours from the time you started...and it will be some of the best pulled pork ever... :);)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    the reason for 250 dome temp is that at that temp your cooking closer to 225 at the grill level. you dont want the meat on the grill cooking lower than 225 at that level
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Check all of your thermometers in boiling water - not at the bottom of the pan. You will then know if the temperatures are off.

Placing the pit probe close to the meat can give you a false reading.

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Agree, what's good about 250 dome is your food gets done quicker and you use less lump.
  • outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    Options
    agreed on fast cook,,, i ain't in to staying up all night... :woohoo: i do cook mine for 6 hrs or so till 195-200.and do not use foil....deeeeeeeeeeelious

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!