Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

a tale of the tail . .. oxtail stew that is, w/ a little dizzy spin

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
we were watching this guy named kevin garvin on one of the lesser cable channels last week. . .his cooking show is fairly entertaining. . .and he was doing his grandmother's oxtail stew. ..on the stove and in the oven of course, but it looked darn good and i thought. . .with a little egg and dizzy pig magic, that stuff would be really good. ...so i made a version sunday, with excellent results. .. .it was delicious, but be warned, eating ox tails takes a little work. ..there is a ring of fat around them, that even after five hours of cooking, you sort of have to peel back to get to the meat, which was beautifully tender and fell right off the tail bones. . ..[p]so here's what i did:[p]the ingredients. ..about 3 pounds of ox tails, meaty tomatoes, celery, onions, carrots, dizzy cowlick, flour, chicken broth, and some white wine. . [p]DSCN0980.jpg[p]first, i put about 2 heaping tablespoons of dizzy cowlick in about 1/2 a cup of flour and dredged the oxtails in this, then shook them off . . .put in full load of lump and heated the egg up to 400 degrees, put my cast iron skillet directly on the grid, added olive oil, and proceeded to brown the meat on both sides[p]DSCN0981.jpg
DSCN0982.jpg[p]after the meat was browned on both sides in the skillet, i moved the pieces to the grid for a couple of more minutes per side, while adding more to the skillet [p]DSCN0983.jpg[p]when all the meat was browned in the skillet and had their couple of minutes direct on the grill, i removed them, pulled out the skillet, then set up the egg indirect with grid on top of inverted plate setter and got the egg stable at 375 degrees dome temp.. .while the egg was stablizing, i cut up the vegetables in large chunks (you want to cut them up large, cause they are going to cook for 5 hours). . .for the tomatoes you want to cut and core them. . .arrange the vegetables in the bottom of a large pot (in this case my 9 quart le creuset)[p]DSCN0985.jpg[p]now arrange the meat on top of the vegetables, add about 1 1/2 cups of white wine and enough chicken broth to cover the meat completely, salt and pepper to taste. . .then, into the egg for 5 hours. .. here it is right after going on the egg. . [p]DSCN0986.jpg[p]and here it is 5 hours later. . .you need a full load of lump, cause at 400 for the browning and 375 for the baking, you will eat up a full load pretty well. .. [p]DSCN0987.jpg[p]and here it is served up on a plate. ..(when you bring it in from the egg, there will be a fair amount of fat liquid on top. .. .use a large ladle to ladle and git rid of that prior to serving. . .the juice will then be excellent served on top of the meat and veggies and rissoto). . . ox tails, with the veggies, and i made up a rissoto which went really well with the meat. ...the family loved it. .. .and the egg add great flavor, especially to the tomatoes and the meat .. ..[p]DSCN0990.jpg

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    how do you think that would work with thin pork chops. hadnt decided how to cook them yet

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    fishlessman,
    not sure it would work very well .. .there is lots of fat on those oxtails. . .i would think your pork chops are pretty lean. ..cooking them in liquid for 5 hours, i think they be like little wet hockey pucks. ...i could see doing this with chuck, or brisket even, maybe pork shoulder or butt, but nothing too lean. ..just my opinion. .[p]now, maybe cut the veggies smaller. ..saute them first, then add the browned pork chops and liquid for maybe 1 hour would work ok. . .just guessing though, i don't have a lot of pork chop experience except to grill them

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I haven't seen oxtails in years. Is that a Le Creuest (sp) pan. They have an outlet at The Mall but that stuff is high.
    Have you ever looked into that temperflex bakeware?[p]Mike

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    yep, that's le creuset. ..we have an outlet near us.. .i have bought about 6 pieces over the last few years. ..its expensive (even with the big discounts for seconds), but well worth it for its cooking versatility. . not sure what the temperflex is. .. .[p]my safeway carries oxtails all the time. . .never tried them before this though. ...it was really good. . .

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    saute veg add the pan fried pork and cook 1 to 1.5 hours. maybe use less stock and make it more like a sauce or coq au vin style dish with pork chops. my plan for tonight

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Very nice post Max, I've got a package of oxtails in the freezer that the wife keeps hiding under other stuff. I'm going to do a batch in my dutch oven in the Egg this weekend. Your recipe sounds great so I'm going to duplicate it. I've never tried tomatoes and white wine, (I've used red wine and usually add leeks along with the onions). [p]One thing I do for for fat control is to put the whole pot in the fridge overnight to let the fat rise to the top for removal. The next day, I reheat everything, remove the oxtails, reduce the broth a little, then stir in some coarse grain mustard. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    fishlessman,
    sounds like a plan . . .i would barely brown those chops though . ..let the time in the liquid 'cook' them through. . .let us know how it turns out. ..

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    thirdeye,
    the white wine works great with tomatoes (i do this with mussels as well). . .the leeks would add a nice touch as well. . .[p]somebody else told me about the refrigerate, let the fat rise method as well. . ..great idea. .. didn't have the extra day in this case. . .we wanted to cook em and eat them the same night. ..thanks[p]

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    That looks terrific! I think I'll try that same recipe with a chuck roast. What do you think?

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    egret,
    thanks. ...chuck oughta work as well. .

• Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]For those who can't find oxtails, short ribs work good too.
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    An outstanding presentation of "how-to-do-it". Thanks!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    You may talk more than the average person, but you sure got some good stuff to share, and an enthusiasm for cooking that few can touch. Nice work! [p]Keep doin what you do, and don't you go a-changin.
    Cocacolas mang
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    could this be an addition to the dizzy recipe page??

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Of course.
    Looks like it's all set up!
    Tanks mang
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Yazoo,
    man, i'll bet they would be good as well. . .i found the texture of the oxtail meat to be similar to the strip of meat you get on the outside of slice of prime rib. . .it kinda shreds with a little fat in it . . .but great flavor. . .

• Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]A lot of people winkle up their faces when you say oxtail or show them one, but they are very good. I have my own oxtail stew recipe and we love it. Got it from the guest host on Cooking Live several years ago. I think it's considered an Italian oxtail stew. It's good to see them used here.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Yazoo,
    i agree with you. ..and whatever your recipe. .. cook it in the egg, it will only be that much better.. [p]cheers[p]max

• Ricklesss
    Options

MadMax,

So if one wanted to make this like you did (and I do!) how difficult would it be to remove most of the meat off of the oxtails? Instead of muncing on them seperately.

Did you consider doing that? Would you do it like that again?

Just curious!

Thank you!
     RIcklessssssS in Oregon

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options

Morning Rick:

We've done a similar recipe where we do pull the meat off the bone part way through the cook, putting it back in the pot...works great...makes it easier for eating later!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    For separating the fat if you don't have time to cool overnight get a fat separator. I generally don't get one-use utensils, but this one is worth it.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia