Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Breast

Options
Rafterdude
Rafterdude Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did some skinless bonless Breasts last night with less than desirable
results. Cooked them direct @ 325 with the daisey until 165ish. Fire was burning for 45 minutes before starting. Used green Heat to light the fire. Normally use a chimney. Also, I normally dont use the daisey. Just curious, How do yall do your breasts? Thanks in advance!
Warm and Sunny days to ya,
Craig

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Rafterdude,[p]First thing, I'm a frim beliver in Smart Chicken not Tyson. It costs a little more but is well worth the price of admission.[p]I take a fork and stab the breast a few times and marinate in olive oil or Italian Dressing. Add a favortie rub and cook just like you did.
    Good luck next time,[p]CWM

• DHall
    DHall Posts: 180
    Options
    Rafterdude,
    I just cooked 4 boneless skinless breasts a bit ago..my first time for them on the egg. I pounded them out so they were pretty even thickness then coated will EVOO and seasoned with garlic salt and fresh ground pepper. I cooked direct on a raised grid with a dome temp around 400. It took maybe 10 minutes for them to hit 155 and pulled em and let em sit in a covered pan while i sauteed some baby portobellos in my new grill wok(picked it up today along with a non stick tray for doing fish and a 2 sided cast iron griddle to use for steaks and more at Sears this afternoon). Breasts were perfect and the mushrooms made a great side and cooked quick too. I can see now that I need to get a small or medium just for usin to do sides and more when the large is full.
    Dont give up try the breasts again till u get em to ur liking. I used the daisy wheel and used the BGE brand starter cubes to start the fire and threw in a couple pecan chunks for extra flavor.

• KevinH
    KevinH Posts: 165
    Options
    Rafterdude,[p]As a general rule, lean meats meats need higher heat. So do boneless cuts of meat. Skinelss, boneless chicken breasts are both. I tend to go 375 degrees, and direct heat is definitely the way to go. Try to cook them long enough on the first side that a single flip is sufficient. About 15 minutes per side seems to work, a little more if they are stuffed. A little less if you creep up to 400 degrees.[p]One trick is to use a thin layer of sour cream to help seal in the moisture. It also helps the seasonings to adhere. A light coating of olive oil is another option. Sometimes, I stuff the chicken breasts with a spinach/cheese mixture, but it's not required.[p]Usually, I skip the smoking wood, but a few apple chips can be good. Stay away from anything strong like hickory or mesquite.[p]I actually like chicken breasts better when grilled with the bone-in than boneless. Increase the cooking time to around 45 minutes total, at 375 degrees.

• MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    Options
    Rafterdude,[p]Here is another possiblity, marinate overnight in the following[p]Equal amounts of Red Wine Vinegar and either red or white wine (cheap stuff)
    chopped garlic to taste
    lemon pepper
    just a little oil[p](sorry, I never mesure anything, so I don't have exact mesurements for you)[p]I put them in mason jars and vac seal over night, the flavor goes all through the meat. [p]this works great with tri tips as well. Serve with Garlic bread or make sandwiches with garlic bread.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Rafterdude,
    You didn't say what was wrong with them, but I am thinkin they probably did not develop much of a crust at those temps?? I am usually pretty good into the upper 400s for breastisses. Just enough to build up a good crust by the time they reach 160 internal.[p]Warm, sunny, and loooong days back toya bud!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • GoodEgg
    GoodEgg Posts: 16
    Options
    Rafterdude,[p]I have two suggestions: Give 'em a fast bath in brine, and pull them at 158-168 degrees and let them sit on a plate, covered in aluminum foil, for about five minutes before servng.[p]You can make the brine and soak the breasts while the Egg is coming up to temp by dissolving 1/4 cup kosher salt and 1/4 cup sugar in one cup of boiling water. Then add seven more cups of cold water and the breasts. I put the whole business in a Zip-lok bag and let it sit for a half hour. You can get by with even a little less, but I find that longer tends to make them mushy.[p]Then you pat the breasts dry, season as you like and grill 'em at about 400 or so until they're no higher than 160. Depending on how thick they are, this sometimes can be only four or five minutes a side.[p]The sugar helps them crust just a bit and the brine keeps them seasoned and moist. The brief wait before dining allows the temp to rise just a bit, redistributes juices, and builds character in the diners.[p]Warm and sunny days to you, too.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    Rafterdude,
    ive only cooked boneless skinless breasts once,it was with a tandoori yogurt marinade and it was great, but is even better with a skinless spatchcock. when i did the breasts i used a homade verticle skewer and cooked at about 475. layered the meat with thick slices of lemon and rotated each breast 90 degrees while making the stack which was about 10 breasts high. slightly burnt on the edges, done just right in the middle. cooked it inderect on one fire brick. served it in the center of the table where you sliced off what you want as you ate. with the spatchcock, i skin it, take a knife and put deep slashes about every 1.5 inches and then marinate, cook direct raised grill at 350 for about 45 minutes til done. someday i need to make a rack to hang verticle skewers and ill do the breasts again

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it