Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Here's the $6 forum question

WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Instead of complaining about the changes that may or may not come to this forum...lets hear your thoughts on "why" do you think BGE corporate would want to make changes....will be interesting to see if anyone gets even remotely close to the thought process that went into the decision..

Comments

• Shwiezzee
    Shwiezzee Posts: 304
    If you know please just tell us. :whistle:
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    1. Money
    2. A perception that they need to protect their "brand" (i.e. manage the image, control the content of the forum).
    3. Neither of the above

But, I'll bet money is a factor. Hope I'm wrong. ;)
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    Maybe to make it easier and faster to get your questions answered, warranty issues solved, recipes found, and still be able to read foolish banter?
  • WessB
    Didn't intend for it to read like I know something...I know nothing, we will all know once it's over I suppose....then again maybe we will never know why..
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    you can't possibly get your questions answered faster. seriously. ask a question... five answers, five minutes
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    I know I know, I was being sarcastic, sorry.
  • walrusegger
    walrusegger Posts: 314
    Wess
    I just posted on another thread that suspect BGE wants to launch their own social media engagement platform and wants to move away from the this forum. Since (what I think I know) the folks who currently run this get funding from BGE, I imagine BGE has ownership of the members information and can personally launch this new platform to all 25K current followers and make it their own and move away from this (no disrespect inteneded) dinosaur of a message board.

Since everything here has been speculation all week, that's my conspiracy theory.

BTW, do you know if DC Metro (Offenbachers) is doing the fest again this year...I'd love to cook again.
  • I know I've learned a lot from this forum. Can someone give me the short version on how it is supported?

The experienced cooks that post have a lot to do with the success of the BGE whether that gets acknowledged or not. I find it hard to believe that unwaveringly loyalty would be ignored.

The new-comers, including myself, appreciate your help!!
  • WessB
    They certainly made it sound like they were going to continue having it every year...I'm looking forward to the second one..
  • Shwiezzee
    elzbth,

I think your right. Just my thoughts though. Everything is about the bottom line today. This forum is another way for a CEO to generate additional revenue end of storey. This will help feed an ego to say look how good I am and I'm right. (Now Pay UP SUCKA)

I have seen this with our boat manufacturer, from a family business to a bunch of Venture Capitalist.

I just hope that what ever happens someone is listening!

If things are some what the same I'm willing to pay and happy too. If things are totally different and its the attitude we know best... i'm gone.

Hell, even NASCAR says Have at it boys....... LOL

Jay
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    walrusegger wrote:
    ... dinosaur of a message board.

No disrespect intended. This 'dinosaur' discussion has come and gone many time. Just try to get this camaraderie on the newer box type forums - will never happen.

My 2¢, this 'dinosaur' is exactly why all this works.

• Grandpas Grub

As I understand it, the Millers are honoring their father.

As I understand it, BGE kicks in $$ monthly and sounds like equipment.

Members, kick in for many reasons. For me it's due to the help the forum gave me when I was new. I find the diversity of the members with one common thread.

Oh, and the loony posts.

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Kent:

Plz explain who the Millers are, as I have no idea and been on this forum over 2 1/2 yrs.

Thanks!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    I blame global warming.

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    ah. the old 'irony does not translate across the internet" hahaha. victim of that myself many times (doesn't mean i'll stop, though! :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Grandpas Grub

hay, quite you must got here. :)

• Grandpas Grub

Other than a few bits and pieces I have heard over the years, I don't know much at all.

The Millers are the folks who do the behind the scenes work and make the effort for personal reasons with little or no thanks. Until you asked I wonder if they have had enough.

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Excuse me here, Wess........but, I believe it was the 64 dollar question!! :woohoo: :woohoo: Maybe that was before your time.....and, I know it was way before Sally's time!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • walrusegger
    Haha, that's a good one. Until now, this has been all eggheads have been offered and since they're all in one place, there's been no need to upgrade, come out with better functionality, easier navigation and bells and whistles that now come with social media sites built for companies on the cutting edge to get their customers to engage and grow whatever the common thread is among its users (in our case everything BGE).

BGE is fortunate in that the engagement part which is usually the challenge is where this forum shines. But that's pretty much where this site ends. Sure it's loaded with content, but finding that content is slow, not intuitive, difficult at best and archaic.

Companies now with loyal followings are building sites very inexpensively via third party vendors that mirror things like Facebook...you know, the biggest web site in the WORLD (still laughing)!
  • WessB
    John...you know times are tough..and Obama wants a raise so we all gotta make sacrifices somewhere...and it's all in our best interests...LOL...
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Aha.....so that's where the other $58 went!? :woohoo:
  • Shwiezzee
    What is Facebook? :P
  • walrusegger
    Just a fad...here today, gone tomorrow ;-).

LOVE your tag line! Since the apocalypse is near, please reveal what you did, haha!
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    elzbth wrote:
    2. A perception that they need to protect their "brand"

I hope they don't follow in the footsteps of a particular hockey league that sues mom and pop places for using team logos ;-)
    context is important :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    because corporate doesnt think the family mentality belongs in the business anymore, not with their best employees, not with their best advertising(which really is this forum) and maybe with those that think the forum was best in the past ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it