Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need advice on Rutland gasket

Options
JimS
JimS Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After 11 years and probably 35 gaskets including the high heat green egg gasket and as a last resort I have installed a rutland gasket according to RRP's instructions on the Naked Whiz Site. I only installed the bottom gasket. My problem is that it passes the dollar bill test from the 6:30 position all the way around to the 3 pm position. From thr 3 until the 630 position I can insert the dollar without opening the lid and slide at will until it hits the 6:30 position.Have adjusted with bands loosened with a tiedown strap from all angles to no avail. What am i doing wrong?

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    loosen the hinges, remove the springs, adjust the bands then tighten everything back up. Sounds like a lot of work but really takes less than 10 minutes.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    did you "bunch" it thus making it thicker and wider?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JimS
    Options
    Thanks Pat, but since i have never attempted this before Do I tighten the bands before i put the springs back on and they ( the springs) look like a booger to get back on?
  • JimS
    Options
    No RRP, thats the one thin in your procedure i did not do. Did everything else but that.
  • JimS
    Options
    I have always had problems in this area with other gasket in stalled but was always able to adjust to a acceptable dollar test but with this one I can't. will try pats solution.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

If you dug, ground, sanded, filed the ceramics you have a different problem and probably should put on a upper gasket or double layer where the gaps appear.

Otherwise...

At times the bands need a little adjustment.

Carriage bolts that tighten the bands down onto the grill at times not tight enough, this will cause a little slack in the bands which give the spring assembly a little play. What happens is the springs try to open the dome but they are not strong enough to do it.....they can pull the dome up in the back area. If the spring assembly opens a little it will cause the dome to pull in the back and the only place the dome will actually touch is the front. This is the most common problem the eggs have.

To reset:
    1.) Have someone hold the dome open for you
    2.) With a set of locking pliers clamp on the top of the spring and pull the spring up and off the assembly.
    3.) Once both springs are off (large egg) carefully close the dome
    4.) Loosen the carriage bolt on the dome band and remove the dome
    5.) If replacing the gaskets, remove and replace the gasket as per instructions.
    6.) Now the important part....when you put the dome back on tighten the carriage bolts until the bend away from the grill. Don't worry you will not break the ceramics.
    7.) Have someone open the dome while you put the springs back on.

What you just did is reset the timing on the spring assembly.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    sorry, but that step was the most important one! Adjusting may help, but it's a shame you didn't follow the directions.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JimS
    Options
    Thanks granpa. I will try that but i don't have to put on a gasket yet so i will not take dome off.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Tighten the bands first. Maybe not the OSHA approved way but I just pop the springs on and off with a long screwdriver, takes less than a minute for both.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Removing the dome is to replace the gasket on the dome. You not putting a gasket on the dome would only require to loosen the bands, skip the dome removal and continue on.

The instructions comes from BGE service and BGE only offers Felt or Nomex on the base and dome.

Also, this process is more for correcting the common hinge lift which creates a gap between the base and dome at the hinge location. For me, following those the steps has corrected a gap between the 3 to 5 o'clock position.

Hope this helps.