Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza Recipe

vidalia1
vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here is my version of the Chicago Deep Dish pizza that I posted yesterday. It is a variation of a recipe found on the forum in recipes under baking. I have tweaked it some and I am very happy with the results:

CHICAGO STYLE DEEP DISH PIZZA PIE

Pizza Dough Ingredients

Bread Flour 408.75 g (sifted)
Semolina 136.25 g
Water 255.58 g
ADY 4.00 g
Salt 2.50 g
Olive Oil 15 g
Corn Oil 10 g
Butter melted 5.50 g
Sugar 8.00 g
Crm of Tartar 4.00 g
Water ½ cup for proofing

Additional Ingredients:
Oregano, powdered garlic, basil, salt & pepper
Honey

Directions:

Add ADY to ½ cup water and the sugar. Water should be heated to 90-105 degrees. Let proof for 10-15 minutes.

Sift the bread flour & mix the semolina and salt with the sifted flour, but withhold 1/2 cup of the flour.
Add the previously proofed ADY to the flour. Add the additional water as needed. Mix with a wooden spoon and by hand to form a ball. Cover and let rest for around 25 minutes in a warm part of the kitchen.

Add the rest of the flour along with the melted and cooled butter, sugar & cream of tartar. Now add the oils as needed. Knead for a very short time (est. 1 -2 mins.) Add a teaspoon or two more of the flour if needed.
Put the formed dough ball into a Ziploc bag and into the refrigerator for 24 -48 hours. It can be divided in half to make 2 9” pies as well.

Pie Ingredients & Cooking Procedure

Sliced mozzarella cheese (not shredded)
Sliced provolone cheese (not shredded)
Italian sausage (cooked & drained)
Pepperoni
6 in 1 tomato sauce (drained)(or other sauce if 6-1 is not available)
Oregano (to taste)
Dried basil (to taste)
Garlic (to taste)
Sea Salt (to taste)
Honey (a good squirt or two over the sauce)
Grated fresh parmesan cheese

2. Set the BGE up indirect at 400 (no more) using the platesetter. When ready to cook place the deep dish pan on the cooking grate above the platesetter.

3. Take the dough out of the refrigerator when ready to bake about 2 hours before baking. When ready to work the dough lightly rub Crisco, not olive oil into the pizza pan. Then place the dough in the pan and pat out dough. Using a pan with 2" high straight-sides, crimp and or pinch the edges of the crust very hard to give the crust a nice real thin edge, as opposed to a thicker or fatter rim.

4. Drain the tomatoes and add basil, garlic, oregano, salt & pepper to taste. Set aside.

5. Layer sliced Mozzarella cheese covering the bottom of the crust, then add provolone cheese pieces, then pepperoni then cooked & drained italian sausage (you cook it first so it doesn’t add any “juice” to the pie – other wise things can get messy). Add enough tomato sauce to cover the whole pie. Add a good dash of honey over the top of the tomato sauce. Add enough grated parmesan and mozzarella to cover the pie. Bake the pizza at 400 degrees (make sure your grate temp is no more than 400, or you'll burn the pie!). After 15 minutes turn the pizza 180 degrees and continue to bake for about 10-15 minutes more. Check doneness by touching the crust.

Take the pie out of the BGE and let cool for 10-15 minutes. Take a knife and run around the outside edges of the pie. The whole pie should be able to be turned out onto a cutting board.

Slice & Enjoy!

Comments

• Brew'nQue
    Brew'nQue Posts: 44
    Sounds/looks awesome! I'm going to give this a try this weekend. I've got a 'go to' thin crust pizza dough recipe, but I've been looking for a good deep dish dough. This sounds like it might be it.

Thanks for sharing!
  • vidalia1
    The semolina flour, Crisco shortening, 6 in 1 tomatoes & honey are the secrets in this crust & pie...good luck & I hope you like it.... ;):)
  • GeorgiaBorn
    GeorgiaBorn Posts: 178
    Thanks Vidalia! Can't wait to try this.

One question:

You say "When ready to cook place the deep
    dish pan on the cooking grate above the platesetter."

Are you saying to heat the pie pan up before working the dough in it? If so, how long to you heat it up for?

Thanks!
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    what kind of scale are you using? i thought i had a good one but it looks like your scale goes to hundredths of a gram. that is reallly reallly small

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Thanks Kim...that will definately make it on the "to do" list...
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Kim, thanks for the great recipe. Please clarify a couple of things:

As GeorgiaBorn asked, is the pan preheated, and for how long?

Second, 6-in-1 Tomatoes aren't sold in San Diego that I know of, but I have a case of the crushed tomatoes. You are specifying whole tomatoes, in that brand or a similar brand, right? Or at least chunks of tomatoes?

Thanks for all your lab work!
    Judy in San Diego
  • vidalia1
    Nope...when the pie is ready to be cooked place it on the cooking grate & cook...with the platesetter beneath..I have also used the pizza stone & platesetter...
  • vidalia1
    Nope do not preheat the pan...

Crushed tomatoes are fine and I buy my 6-1 tomatoes on line...just Google 6-1

Good luck...
  • vidalia1
    I put the actual weights but I round up...no it isn't that exact... :)B)
  • vidalia1
    Thanks Wess... :)B)
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    So I'm assuming the platesetter is with legs up, grid on top, since you don't mention a stone?
    Judy in San Diego
  • Brew'nQue
    Brew'nQue Posts: 44
    Didn't end up waiting 'till this weekend to do this cook. Started the dough Tuesday afternoon, then baked a deep dish pizza with it last night. Very, very good. I'll be making this again many times!

My normal pizzas are thin crust (neo-neapolitan style) which I cook at 600 for a short amount of time. I was pleasantly surprised at the subtle smokey flavor that this deep dish pizza ended up with (because of the longer cook I'm guessing).

My deep dish pan is only 9", so I made a 9" pizza, then used the extra dough to make a dessert pizza (cinnamon sugar, butter, and simple powdered sugar/milk icing). All good eats!

Lots of different ingredients you could use in the actual pizza and be fine, but keep the crust recipe as is, it's a winner.