Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Storage and Reheating

Options
wdan
wdan Posts: 261
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've done pulled pork many times, but was wondering what the latest thinking is on how to store and reheat it if you serve it a day or so after the actual cook.[p]I'm currently planning to do a couple of butts or picnics (picnics per Sundown's adament recommendation) starting Thursday evening and pulling them off around noon-ish Friday (I'm taking a day off that day to do my @##$$%%^^&& taxes, so my schedule should be flexible all day Friday). I can then get a normal night's sleep before company comes before actual service is on Saturday nite (unless there is a major problem with my taxes). Unlike the good ol' days of indestructable youth, I need to sleep every night nowadays (or at least, be able to make up for a bad night the next night). [p]I've always just refrigerated my PP in zip-locks and then gently reheated it in a sauce pan with Coke in it. The Coke thing works great and I can't remember who first brought it up on this forum...fishlessman or RRP or whomever? Oh s---. What I just said is gonna get STUMP after me again if he's up tonight. Don't mean to overlook anybody, but the Coke thing was a great piece of input someone gave to this forum and the practice shall live on in perpituity![p]Lot's of newbies here lately...would love to hear if any a you's guys got anything new about PP storage and reheating?

Comments

• T-47
    T-47 Posts: 84
    Options
    WDAN,
    That me, a Newbie ! this is the way I was taught.
    Pork butt must be pulled while warm. My preference is to pull the pork after cooking, mix in some leftover rub for added flavor, and place in a baking dish or disposable foil pan. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and refrigerate. To reheat, spritz with apple juice or broth, or stir in a little barbecue sauce, cover tightly with foil, and heat in a 200-250°F oven or smoker, stirring occasionally, until warmed to your liking.
    If you prefer to keep the cooked pork butt whole and unpulled, wrap it in foil and refrigerate. Heat in the oven or smoker at 300°F until warmed to your liking, then pull, add leftover rub, and serve.
    The coke idea sound interesting? Does it add a coke flavor?[p]

• wdan
    wdan Posts: 261
    Options
    T-47,
    Welcome aboard, "newbie!"
    I agree that it's best to pull the pork right away (well anyway, after a 20-60 minute rest). I then worry about how to store it before actually serving it. The Coke thing was (and probably will be re-affirmed by others soon) is legitimate. The first time I tried it I was reluctant, but had enough leftovers to "risk it." Hokey smokes, Bullwinkle, it was great! At most, the Coke added a bit more sweetness to the meat while doing a great job of moistening it.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    WDAN,[p]Coke also works great for brisket reheats too![p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    WDAN,
    the coke was not my idea, but it does work well in a crockpot for reheating the pulled pork. what ive been doing lately is reheating after vacuum packing. when vacuum packing i have been putting 1 tablespoon of coke and 1 tablespoon low sodium chicken broth in the bag and then adding the meat on top. reheat by boiling the whole bag.thank RRP for the coke and old dave for the broth idea

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jaymer
    jaymer Posts: 49
    Options
    T-47,
    yes, the coke think is legit. Going back to January 2004, RRP has mentioned it several times, but he thanks Dr Chicken for giving him the idea. [p]That idea IS fantastic. 2 weekends ago I reheated 40 lbs in 2 roaster ovens ($28 from walmart - fantastic). I used about a whole 2 liter bottle - just poured it in around the hotter edges of the pan and turned the meat over an hour or so and it all turned out fantastic. [p]I was going to do the foodsaver method/boiling (which would work great too), but logistically, couldn't pull all that together.[p]

[ul][li]roaster oven - available on the shelves at walmart[/ul]
  • T-47
    T-47 Posts: 84
    Options
    jaymer,
    thats actually where I got my info on pork, but I was not sure if we are allowed to post another site here, didnt want to step over the line.