Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Chicken Wings!!!

Albert EggsteinAlbert Eggstein Posts: 5
edited 6:50AM in EggHead Forum
Newbie here looking for a chicken wing recipe. Had my XL for two weeks now and so far I've pulled off great steaks, a tenderloin, shrimp and some of the best ribs I've ever eaten. I have a good feel for the temperature control and feel like a veteran already.

I have not been able to find too many wing recipes. I like my wings a little crispy with a couple different sauces. Can anybody help out with a recipe or some ideas as to how to go about producing some great wings on the egg.

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,586
    I did some last night, light dusting of cornstarch on a raised grid indirect at 450*. I just mixed a half a pound of melted butter with a bottle of Arizona Gunslinger, tossed the wings in the mix and back on the grid for a couple of minutes.

Caledon, ON

• So indirect meaning you used the plate setter or you just had your coal on one side?

Also, how long did you leave on before pulling and tossing in the sauce?
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,586
    I used the adjustible rig from CGS. The idea is to get the wings higher in the dome to reduce fat flare-ups. I used a drip pan as well. If you don't have ab extender you can put the platesetter in legs down, some bricks and then put the grid on the bricks. You would want to cover the platesetter in foil. Empty soup or pop cans would work too.

I let them go until they were crispy. Maybe 40 minutes or so.

Caledon, ON

• Gandy DancerGandy Dancer Posts: 272
    Here are two Thirdeye's &
    Dizzy pig
  • brisket30brisket30 Posts: 122
    I like to cook mine around 500 and get them real crispy. Then put your favorite BWW sauce in a tupperware bowl, seal and shake until coated.
  • iabbqguyiabbqguy Posts: 27
    My favorite wings on the egg are Bloody Mary Wings. The originator of the recipe is Ray Lampe, aka Dr. BBQ. Give it a try...I think you'll like it.

Bloody Mary Wings