Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Hanger Steak

Options
Capt Frank
Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have found a good source for Hangers in the Cincinnati area [Findley Market, for those of you hereabouts] and fixed my first one last night.

First, a properly seasoned and cleaned CI Grid. Notice the the non-stick, no rust crud
5830362564_0511f7ac9d.jpg
P6120001 by Capt Frank1, on Flickr
5830363928_e7741e7a98.jpg
P6120002 by Capt Frank1, on Flickr

Now to the good part. This is approx 1 1/2 lbs of hanger, actually one half of the entire cut.
Rubbed w/ DP "Raising the Steaks" and marinated in Dale's Sauce with a little Rosemary :)
5829817683_01fcc764f4.jpg
P6120005 by Capt Frank1, on Flickr
Grilled/seared to internal 125, approx 5 min/side5830368566_92d5c6df61.jpg
P6120007 by Capt Frank1, on Flickr
Sliced5829822349_a64e5d29cd.jpg
P6120009 by Capt Frank1, on Flickr

Comments

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    So, how did you like it?

The shape of it is different from the ones I have cooked. Was there a membrane in the middle?
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Capt Frank
    Options
    Hi Faith, It was the best steake ever.
    I am having real trouble getting this post to work, it keeps going up before I am finished, Oh well, close enough, I guess.
    This was one half of an entire Hanger. The butcher pre-trimmed it and cut out the center membrane, so we have two steaks. The other half is in the freezer.
    It came out a tad more rare than we like, next time I will do a quick sear then drop the temp and roast it to a more cnsistant internal temp. Still, it was the best steak either of us have ever eaten. We also did some roasted new potatos and brussel sprouts, all on the small.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Sorry, Frank, I asked the questions before your last 2 pics got posted.

I'm glad you liked it. It must have been really large for the butcher to cut in in 1/2 for you. I find that hangers do take a little longer to cook for some reason, they also "puff up" during the cook, or so it seems.

It's nice that you have a source for hangers now.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Capt Frank
    Options
    I still had a couple of more pics to put up the page kept jumping back to the forum page before I could finish, so I gave up.

I cooked this one like I would a ribeye or strip steak, just a Hi-temp sear. That was not quite enough, next time i will do a shorter sear, then raise the grid, shut the vents, and get a little better internal finish.

It was still delicious. :cheer:
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Capt. Frank
    Great cook. The flavor in this cut is amazing. I am not enamored with the texture however in the ONE attempt I made. I'm glad this works for you and you have a good source. We decided to take it off of our list in favor of tri tips and flank steaks which we pay similar prices.
    Keep On Eggin,
    Tony
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Capt Frank
    Options
    Thanks Tony, Kinda the same way although with me it was the tri-tips that I was not particularly enamamored with. I have done two of them and did not much care for either one. To each his own. We get excellent flatiron steaks here in Cincy and love those, they are pretty much unavailable in Florida, at least in my area.
    We don't eat a huge amount of beef anyway, but I have read so much about Hangers on here that I had to try one. It will definetly be high on my list for steak :) :cheer:
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Nice color on that Frank. Inside and out!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Welcome to the Hanger! :laugh:

Absolutely my favorite hunk of beef, hands down. While I am a Dale's fan too, next time try it simple - a little EVOO, Sea Salt and cracked black pepper and let that big, beefy flavor sing to your taste buds.

Oh, and be careful with that roast....you don't want to take that chunk of heaven even and inch past medium.
  • Capt Frank
    Options
    Thanks Molly, the hanger sure lives up to its reputation, I'm glad I found a good source for them. :)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I've not had one. Might have to try and find one.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Nice job. I haven't had one in a while. Time to re-order. I don't trim the tendon/membrane either just slice from either side.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Capt Frank
    Options
    Thanks Steve, I'm a convert :) :cheer: :)
  • Capt Frank
    Options
    Thanks for the tips Austin. I can tell this is a "sensitive" piece of meat to cook, I was getting way different temp readings all over the place with my Thermopen, there is definetly a learning curve, but that is part of the fun! :) :P :woohoo:
  • Chief Chef
    Chief Chef Posts: 199
    Options
    Welcome back to Cincy Frank. Seems to me there is more than one butcher at the market - do you remember the name?

Great looking dinner also.
  • Capt Frank
    Options
    Hi Steve, there are at least two butchers there that carry it. One was in the paper a few days ago, I forget the name, we bought from another, "Mackies" I think. If you go down there during the week it is not crowded and it is esy to find what you want, don't go on Saturday.
    We will also be making a pilgrimage to Jungle Jim's soon, I will find out if they carry Hanger's. Been there many times, just never asked. :)