Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot Tubbed me an Eye of Round

Options
chocdoc
chocdoc Posts: 461
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Proving that you can indeed make a silk purse out of a sow's ear - I used a combination of the Cook's Illustrated method and sous vide to make an eye of round into something edible.

I started by salting the round with 1 tsp per pound of kosher salt then leaving it to sit for 24 hours. I vacuum sealed that and cooked it in my newest toy - the FreshMealsMagic 18 litre kit that I picked up from the manufacturer on Wednesday last week (thanks Frank!).

I cooked it at 58C for 36 hours and chilled it down this morning and egged it up to get the fat all tasty and crispy.

5828221813_480bb75da9.jpg
DSCN3197 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

Just out of the bath and chilled.

5828770404_ace319e5e9.jpg
DSCN3199 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

Looking rather anaemic before it's egging.

5828221999_07fa2049d9.jpg
DSCN3202 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

While I waited for it to brown - I sniffed all my iris.

5828770746_89bd3893d7.jpg
DSCN3211 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

5828770816_41280ea03c.jpg
DSCN3213 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

All nicely browned up.

5828770902_9877d754bf.jpg
DSCN3215 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

Could cut it with a fork - and the flavour is fabulous. The perfect breakfast!

5828770670_547ceab6af.jpg
DSCN3210 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

5828222073_4124119e8c.jpg
DSCN3206 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

Anyone need any iris - I'm a bit overrun with them.

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Might have to give that a try. It looks really good. Nice job!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Pepper Monkey BBQ
    Options
    Oh man ... I love new toys ... jealous!!!
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Looks great Kerry!
    I'll take some blue and two toned bulbs.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • chocdoc
    Options
    Molly,

You coming to the NiEggarafest? I can have some waiting for you.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    Kerry, the cook looks fun and fabulous, so the chilling allows charring without overcooking the inside, right? Love your new toy, Frank Hsu is near my office :whistle:

I have a free hand-me-down PID controller with thermocouple sensor wires lying around, one of these days I'll rig it with an old aquarium pump, relay switch, electrical outlet box and an old rice cooker. Hopefully I won't burn down the house :woohoo:

Gary
    canuckland
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Gary,

Get the parts to me and I will do it for you. You ain't no electrician my friend :laugh:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Not this year. :(
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    You're right Steve, may have to pay you a visit in July/August when I get some time off. Also have a welding job for you :blush: ...the guard rail on my Nella meat slicer is loose because a screw hole in the aluminum tray is stripped. Thanks.
    Gary
    canuckland
  • chocdoc
    Options
    Canugghead wrote:
    Kerry, the cook looks fun and fabulous, so the chilling allows charring without overcooking the inside, right? Love your new toy, Frank Hsu is near my office :whistle:

I have a free hand-me-down PID controller with thermocouple sensor wires lying around, one of these days I'll rig it with an old aquarium pump, relay switch, electrical outlet box and an old rice cooker. Hopefully I won't burn down the house :woohoo:

Gary

Indeed - the chilling allows the the charring.

I have been using one of Frank's PIDs that I was beta testing for him (one degree of accuracy) with a slow cooker for a couple of years. This new one is such a treat - it heats up in minutes and keeps 0.1 degree of accuracy with no problem - and heats a huge quantity of water for those big projects.

Brisket next!
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I think you may be causing some confusion to new eggers because sous vide and hot tubbing are two totally different techniques....clarify the differences for those that may not know and all will be the better in the end..
  • chocdoc
    Options
    I really just consider sous vide to be well controlled hot tubbing.