Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

You have to love Pizza on the Egg

BobS
BobS Posts: 2,485
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
You really have to love ceramics for making fine pizza.

I started with dough made yesterday and held overnight in the refrigerator. These are 400 gram dough balls at 60% hydration using 50/50 Caputo Antimo and Caputo Rinforzato.

12-06-11Pizza1.jpg

One of the pies was made with a white sauce based on shallots, garlic, thyme, S&P and heavy cream.

12-06-11Pizza2.jpg

12-06-11Pizza3.jpg

To this I added, sauteed mushrooms, grilled Italian sausage and a three cheese blend (mozza, provolone, white cheddar).

12-06-11Pizza4.jpg

12-06-11Pizza5.jpg

The second pie was plain ol' pepperoni.

12-06-11Pizza7.jpg

These were cooked right at 650.

Comments

• Le Oeuf Vert
    Le Oeuf Vert Posts: 512
    Those pies look great. Especially the "plain ol' pepperoni".
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    What do you have your pizza stone set on? It looks pretty raised above the plate setter but maybe it's just the photo angle?
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    BobS wrote:
    ...400 gram dough balls at 60% hydration using 50/50 Caputo Antimo and Caputo Rinforzato.
    Ah, someone who speaks my language! Do you post over at www.pizzamaking.com? I've been learning a lot there, and haven't yet tried pizza on my new Egg but will be soon.
    Great-looking pies!

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• BobS
    Angela wrote:
    What do you have your pizza stone set on? It looks pretty raised above the plate setter but maybe it's just the photo angle?

I use copper pipe fittings to push the pizza stone up into the dome.

13-02-11Spacers.jpg

These total three inches.

If I was going to do it over again, I would buy pipe and cut it.
  • BobS
    Botch wrote:
    BobS wrote:
    ...400 gram dough balls at 60% hydration using 50/50 Caputo Antimo and Caputo Rinforzato.
    Ah, someone who speaks my language! Do you post over at www.pizzamaking.com? I've been learning a lot there, and haven't yet tried pizza on my new Egg but will be soon.
    Great-looking pies!

I have a few posts over there, but I am not a regular.
  • dsmith
    dsmith Posts: 147
    My wife makes an awesome gluten-free pizza crust (is posted in the recipes) due to her having Celiac Disease.

I use plate setter with legs up and one of these:

IMAG0091.jpg

on the grate to cook on because we usually cook 2 pizzas in succession and these were a lot cheaper than stones (I think about $15 at target).

How long do you cook at 650F?

Anyone know a way to cook 2 pizzas at the same time. I Don't currently have a grate extender but it is on my short-list of things to buy.
  • BBQR
    BBQR Posts: 68
  • BobS
    dsmith wrote:
    My wife makes an awesome gluten-free pizza crust (is posted in the recipes) due to her having Celiac Disease.

I use plate setter with legs up and one of these:

IMAG0091.jpg

on the grate to cook on because we usually cook 2 pizzas in succession and these were a lot cheaper than stones (I think about $15 at target).

How long do you cook at 650F?

Anyone know a way to cook 2 pizzas at the same time. I Don't currently have a grate extender but it is on my short-list of things to buy.

I take the daisy wheel off the top and look down with a flashlight. At those temps it does not take long and the temp of the stone can be different than the outlet, so you want to watch things. The first one took a almost 4 minutes and the second one was a little over done at 3.