Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Southern Sweet Tea Recipe

Big Papa
Big Papa Posts: 220
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking for a good Sweet Tea Recipe.

What brand of tea do you use as well?

thanks

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Louisianne is formulated especially for iced tea,I think Lipton has one now.It will say "for [Iced Tea]"There is a difference in tea made for "Iced Tea" and the ones made for "hot" tea.You MUST mix the sugar into it while it is still hot.Then chill and serve over ice. ;)
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Hoss is right about the sugar needing to be mixed in while warm, otherwise it won't dissolve. It does seem to spoil quicker that way though. If you arent going to drink it in 48hrs or so, you can make it unsweet...then make a separate "syrup" of sugar/water - 50/50.
    Also, no need to boil water or use a fancy tea maker. I make it right in the pitcher on the countertop unsing hot tap water. Works fine and is done in bout 30min.
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    I use Red Diamond....3 qt sized tea bags, bring to a rolling boil in a 2 quart saucepan. Let it sit for 1o minutes or so, remove the tea bags - add 2 to 2 1/2 cups of sugar and be sure it is completely dissolved. Personally, I find 2 cups to be not sweet enough, and 2 1/2 is sometimes too sweet. Just have to find the right combination for you....pour into a one gallon container and add enough cold water to fill the jug. (I actually buy Arizona tea, pour it out or give it away, and use this container - it is so handy). I absolutely NEVER use Lipton.....if I can't find Red Diamond I will pinch-hit with Luzianne....Good luck! :) PS - you cannot sweeten cold tea - it just doesn't work. :)
  • Big Papa
    Big Papa Posts: 220
    Why do you have to drink it within 48 hours if you sweeten it?
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Tea sweetened with sugar starts to turn quicker than unsweet. I can tell a difference after 2-3 days when it is sweet. For the last few years I have been making it unsweet and using the pink packets.
  • Hoss
    I gotta try the Red Diamond.Never had it.If you recommend it,I'm sold. :)
  • elzbth
    I can't explain the "why" - but after 3 or 4 days it seems to be sweeter/stronger....we usually drink it by then, but if not I just make a new (as we say in the south) "pitcher of tea"....it's kind of like "a month of Sundays" :laugh:

Actually, I hardly ever use my pitchers these days - those gallon jugs are so handy....
  • Bljack153
    Bljack153 Posts: 3
    Proper Southern sweet tea, when left out over night can be used as syrup on pancakes the next morning. Our family recipe:
    6 regular tea bags, we use Louiziane
    bring to boil and remove as soon as it boils
    simmer 15 minutes
    add to gallon container, add approximately 1 quart water and 2 cups of sugar. Stir until sugar disolves then fill container with water to make 1 gallon
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    I thought Southern Sweet Tea had hooch in it? So is it simply iced tea? :huh:
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    We use red diamond as well.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I prefer to make sun tea. Get a jar at just about any mass retailer (Wal-Mart, Target) or grocery store.

Fill to about 1" from the top with cold water, insert 3 or 4 Luzianne family size tea bags and drape the strings over the top of the jar. Secure the lid.

Set in the sun for 3-4 hours, then add 3/4 to 1 cup sugar to taste, stir to dissolve. Add ice to the top of the jar to cool as quickly as possible, then place in the fridge.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    really!!!! you must think we are a bunch of drunks down here :laugh: maybe eggfests are not the way to represent the south. :woohoo:

it is just sweetened tea it is served for every meal..

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Hoss
    Yep,just plain old tea.Long Island Tea has hooch. :laugh:
  • elzbth
    I like my Long Island Tea too! We mix it up in a large Igloo cooler (usually a couple of times a year - vacation, Mardi Gras). Unlike a gallon of sweet tea, this does not last more than an afternoon. :woohoo:
  • Pokie
    Pokie Posts: 3
    Southern sweet tea is so sweet it's almost a syrup. Most "sweet tea" isn't very sweet. I use 1 to 1 1/4 cup per 2.5-3 qts of water. I only use Lipton....Luzianne has a weird twang to me. I only drink homemade tea...Lipton in the bottle is disgusting....and not sweet enough either!
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Luzianne

http://www.luzianne.com/

There is no other for ice tea

Forget sugar, I just make batches of simple syrup and keep it in the fridge in a weck jar.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle