Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sun Tea Advice

Options
Big Papa
Big Papa Posts: 220
edited November -1 in Off Topic
I want to start making Sun Tea but I do not know what type of tea works best for Sun tea.

Also what sort of JAr do you use for making it?

thanks

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    I just use a clear container like for orange juice with a loose fitting top. For years my Mother just used Mason jars. Here's a challenge make two jars and put one in the sun and put the other in a dark closet. Keep both that way for 4 or 5 hours. Once both are chilled have someone give you a blind taste test and see if you can tell the difference - bet you can't!

As for tea I just use 4 tea bags for sake of simplicity.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I used to make sun tea and kept getting a funny taste out of it, and, frankly, it seemed "thick." I didn't think anything of it until I happened onto a site that talked about tea and how a bacterium grows easily in sun tea, something that makes its flavor "off" and thickened it noticeably.

Since then, I make fridge tea by putting the same tea bags into the same water and letting it sit longer.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Found THIS INTERESTING ARTICLE.

I guess all those years growing up we were lucky! :sick:

Blair

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Found THIS INTERESTING ARTICLE.

I guess all those years growing up we were lucky! :sick:

Blair

• ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    I get the Lipton large "cold brew" tea bags, and make mine in the fridge, avoiding the whole nasty bacteria thing.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I saw that one, plus a bunch of others too. I think I got a mild case of food poisoning from a batch or two that put me on the trail of this bacteria thing. I haven't made a batch since, at least not in the sun.