Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Foodsaver Vac1050

Options
Bacchus
Bacchus Posts: 6,019
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend has offered me an older unit, the vac1050. From what I can tell by Googling is was a common model around 2003-2004.
I am not familiar with the Foodsavers other than brief mentions here on the Forum.
Should I invest time & effort into this thing and getting the bags, etc or just stick with ziptops and sucking air out with a straw? :)

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Ron, I never had any luck at all with the straw thing. Freezer burn! Had a cheap Seal-a-Meal that Mom bought me that worked ok, but then it started acting funky. Heard several stories about Foodsavers dying well before their time, so I bought a Weston. Too much money, but it REALLY sucks!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    If it is free and it works take it. I have a 1075 that has never had a problem.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    I've had a V2490 for 5 years, and it worked perfectly till this spring. I called their help number and was told it's time to replace the foam seals;;;they arrived, but I haven't tried them out yet. Not one problem till then.

It's great for freezing meat portions, whole tri-tips and steaks, pulled pork, etc. I didn't need the canisters that came with it and sold them on Craig's List.
    Judy in San Diego
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Hi Judy. :laugh:
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    I can't take the time to explain it tonight but the 1050 is like an old muscle car in hiding - just accept it from your friend and say thank you.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I got one last winter it was on sale at the time.

http://www.foodsaver.com/Product.aspx?id=c&cid=87&pid=8402

I don't know about your model but, you could always get a new sealer if the one you will be getting tears up.

I get a couple of butts and pack them up and freeze.

I recently smoked 6 slabs of spares and food savered all of them one per package and found out they are great thawed and reheated on demand.

Curing and smoking bacon then packaging 6 or 8 slices per package.

You get the picture. ;)
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Back at ya'. B)
    Judy in San Diego
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I have had a Foodsaver VAC1075 for 7-8 years. I have used it a lot with beef and pork. I love it, and when it dies a natural death, I'll replace it with the new model of the same brand!

:cheer: :cheer:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • ron4fish
    ron4fish Posts: 144
    Options
    We have a Foodsaver and it is great. We go to either Costco or BJ's andd buy large pork loins and have them cut into boneless chops. We vacumn seal them in 2's and put them in the freezer. Saves us money. Harris Teeter had a buy 1 get 1 free on Whole filets had them cut into 1-1 1/2" size fileet mignons and vacumn sealed them. You can usually buy bulk cheaper and if you have the freezer space it is worth it.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Free is [almost] always good. we have a Wolfgang Puck version and is great for buying bulk and repackaging. We found it is great to package ~1.5lbs of ground beef in a flat square (as opposed to a round ball) and it thaws in about 4-5 minutes in the uWave still in the sealed package and no messy cleanup to deal with.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    I've had a newer model since then as well as another brand called a Sinbo, but my sealer of choice is my old reliable 1050. It was one of the earlier models from when they made the leap from manual to automatic, but it still has a hidden switch under the lid that allows you to vary the sealing time.
    IMG_0765-1.jpg

It is with this machine that I can seal Drybags with this FoodSaver machine and a sleeve of FoodSaver material.

Once again newer doesn't mean better! I hope you got that 1050 from your friend!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.