Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3,1,1 Method Question

Good Eats
Good Eats Posts: 136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to do some spare ribs today with the 3,1,1 method... my questions are...[p]1. What temp should I cook them at[p]2. Am I looking for a specific internal temp after the first 3 hour cook... don't want them in the danger zone I know that but do you guys pull them at a certain temp and let them rest?[p]3. What are your favorite methods for the 1 hour rest... I have seen apple juice, beer, sauces... has anyone tried letting them rest in Coke? ( Not that kinda' coke Stump )[p]Thanks for the input

Comments

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Good Eats,
    I am, by far, not an expert on ribs. However, I cook the 3-1-1 method indirect at 275 for the first 3 hours. I then foil the ribs for 1 hour (I do not add anything, just the natural juices I find are enough) and the final hour is indirect with a baste of sauce during this last hour.[p]I have never tested the temps when I pull them. It is more by 'feel', meaning I grab an exposed bone and gently shake. When the meat loosens, they are ready.[p]Banker John

• Banker John,
    Am I understanding correctly that you foil and put the ribs back on the egg for the "foil hour" as opposed to resting off the heat like you to a T-rex steak?

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    espnga,[p]Resting off the heat would probably be dangerous with pork. I would never suggest that.[p]CWM
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Good Eats,[p]Most adjust the cook / foil time to match their preference for the finished product and the cut and weight of their ribs. I only use foil about 30% of the time, usually on spares. But... for 1-1/2lb. and down, I may go 3-30min-30min, for 2 to 3 lb., it is more like 3-1-30min., and for over 3lb., it may be 4-1-1, or 5-1-1. The foil time gives you a braise action and the finish cooking time crisps up the surface and allows for the addition of sauce, if you're into wet ribs. Add a little foil time if you're going for fall off the bone ribs.[p]Foil time is back on the cooker (or in the oven, if you have other chores for the cooker). Apple juice/cider, ginger ale, beer, chicken broth, wine, or wattered down sauce etc. work well for the liquid. [p]My favorite temps for ribs is 240* to 260* (grate). Lower temps seem to dry mine out a little. [p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    Good Eats,[p]The foiled ribs go back into the egg for 1 hr......same temp. I have adjusted my foil time because I don't like for the meat to fall off of the bones. I have found that leaving the ribs in for 30 - 45 minutes is good enough....however, when my wife asked for fall of the bones.....the bones will fall out if left too long. I usually let her's go the full hour.[p]Basically, this is a drying, wetting, drying method so when you take them out of the foil (wet) the next step is to dry them back out.....this will depend on YOUR taste.[p]I often put pineapple/apricot jam on my ribs during the foil phase and us the juice for a mop during the direct phase. [p]Good luck.........bigarms
  • Good Eats,
    Just finished my baby backs done with 3-1-1 method. They were by far the BEST ribs I have ever eaten. Hope yours were the same.