Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low & Slow on the Small BGE

Options
JimboBQ
JimboBQ Posts: 197
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I built a small BGE transporter like I saw on WessB's site and I'm cutting a couple of pieces of metal today to set up the small for indirect cooking (again like on the WessB site). Thanks Wess, for your great site. So, we're ready to take Little E into the campground to wow all the other campers with.[p]So far, all I've ever done on the small has been steaks, chops, burgers, etc; all direct. Doe anyone have any tips for low & slow with the small? Should I be able to do a butt for several hours with one charge of lump in the small? I'm taking a bag of Wicked Good with me,,,pretty long burning stuff.[p]All input would be appreciated![p]Thanks,[p]Jimbo

Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...

Comments

• Morning Mr. Jimbo[p]It might be best for you to wait for Wess to comment on how to do the low and slow type cooking on the small Egg. It seems to me that he was the innovater of this very unique setup for the small Egg that is on his webpage so I would think that he could provide the answers to your question. [p]Dave[p]

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    JimboBQ, sounds like you're good to go man. You can easily do low n slows, especially with something like Wicked Good. I use kamado coconut for slows in my small, filling it up nice and high. 14-18 hours has been no problem.[p]One thing you might consider, is putting a felt gasket on the inside lip of the daisy wheel. That will make it fit tightly, rather than rock, as I have heard all of them do. This way you can gauge your air flow a little better.[p]I built Wess's carrier also, and liked it so much I made one for my mini. [p]I also bought a piece of Mexican tile to set the feet on, and then the egg, so as not to burn my carrier.[p]Have fun, Scott

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Borders,
    I take it you cook with it in the transporter???[p]Thanks,
    New Bob

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    New Bob, Yes, in it, or on it. I wish I had built one a year ago. I would have traveled with my small tons more, and probably not even bought the mini. [p]I turned mine up a notch and used 3/4" red oak plywood. Used a router on the edges so no one gets a splinter when transporting it.
    Scott

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Borders,
    Thanks for the extra info, making plans to hit the tools as soon as the weather here get above 70, I'm too skinny to work in the garage at temps below that. LOL[p]Cheers,
    New Bob