Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recommendations needed

Options
Austin  Egghead
Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will be in NOLA and Baton Rouge this week. Looking for non touristy places to eat and places shop for some spices for the egg.
Thanks
Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Man, you need to go to Avery Island. Have some boudin and some crawfish from anywhere.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Both have an Acme Oyster House .
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Thanks Mickey. I will check it out. The engineer I will be with doesn't do seafood. Maybe I can sneak out one night.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    That is doable cause I am driving over rather than flying. Side trip might be a good break. Thanks
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Goin to NOLA with a person that don't do seafood??? :huh: I'd sneak out too!!! :laugh: I would contact the Chamber of Commerece and ask them about the "Local" places.They are usually very helpful. ;)
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Options
    I ate at Emerils place- NOLA. I was skeptical but it was worth it. Great food but expensive. Get the NOLA lemonade, that's a good drink.
  • jball
    jball Posts: 63
    Options
    For a great muffuletta and neat atmosphere I like The Napoleon House at 500 Chartres St.

http://www.napoleonhouse.com/
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    K-Pauls will not disappoint.

The Court of Two Sisters has an excellent brunch.

If you schedule allows, journey out of the French Quarter. Keep an eye out for mom-and-pop places, if they serve "meat pies" you're in the right place. The neighbourhood joints are not as prevalent as before the flood, sadly a number of those folks will never return. This is where your best Cajun/Creole food experience will be found.

Kind regards,
    dbCooper
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • kajuntwin
    kajuntwin Posts: 1
    Options
    If you want real Cajun food, stop in Lafayette, it's on your way to Baton Rouge. When your coming down I49 about 2-3 miles before getting to Laf you will find Prejeans on the left (Prejeans.com). This is just one of the many great restaurants around here and they also have several spices and rubs for sale right in the restaurant.

Jerry B.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I second that recommendation.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• davehemp
    davehemp Posts: 109
    Options
    "Mothers" for breakfast,

"Liuzza's By The Track" for lunch(on N.Lopez - not connected to the other Liuzza's);the best Seafood Gumbo and best BBQ Shrimp Po-Boy in the world...( a real local's "joint")

I like "Acme Oyster House" also, great for dinner, gotta try the grilled oysters there...and there are too many others to count as far as great places for dinner...

For spices, The French Market is pretty good.