Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

8 lb. boneless pork butt

lewis
lewis Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello everyone

Looking for some help. Doing my first pulled pork in the morning. Starting at 6 am . Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much and happy smoking !!!

Lewis

Comments

• Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Settle your egg in at 250, add whatever wood chunks you prefer (I like Hickory and Pecan). Placesetter legs up, raise your drip pan somehow (aluminum foil balls work if needed) under your grid, rub that butt down with your favorite rub and let her ride til internal is at 195ish.

Then wrap that butt in foil, and a towel, into the cooler for an hour and pull away. Enjoy!

PS - don't sweat, butt is a very forgiving cook.
  • lewis
    Awesome info.
    Thanks so much for your help.
    Why do I raise the drip pan?

Lewis
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    To keep the drippings from scorching on the heat.
    The butt will hit a plateau around 160ish and stall there for awhile. Once it climbs out of it, you will make it to 195 in relatively short order.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    The guide is 1 1/2 to 2 hours per pound but mine always exceed that. I would start it sooner unless you plan on eating real late tomorrow night.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    beats me. I never have.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lewis
    thank you

You are a great help.
    Really appreciate it

Lewis
  • lewis
    I was thinking about starting around 5 am . Think that will do it ?

Lewis
  • FlaPoolman
    my last one (they were 2-8 pounders) went 19 hours. It's easy to keep them warm in a preheated cooler or you could wrap in foil and bump the temp to 300-350 after the plateau if your running behind. I prefer having them done and keeping them in the cooler. All depends on when you plan on serving.
  • lewis
    Maybe I'll start at midnight then.

Thanks again for you help

Lewis
  • FlaPoolman
    Enjoy and like others have said it's a very forgiving cook. Just make sure you have a stable temp on the egg and don't readjust the vents for at least 1 hour after adding the meat, the temp will drop but the egg will recover. Not a bad idea to check the dome temp a couple of times during the night if your not real comfortable with your temperature control yet.
  • lewis
    Thanks again

Looking forward to this feast

Lewis
  • ron4fish
    ron4fish Posts: 144
    Good info there. I have a butt in the freezer and will be making it in 2 week. Planning on a Sunday mid day eat so will likely start sometime Saturday!! Let us know how it comes out.
  • lewis
    Hey Ron

Butt is looking good . Started at Midnight. Right now (it's ten to 3 here in Ontario Canada)the meat is at 183. Got to get to 195 so I am told.Then when it gets there it has to rest for around an hour. My fingers are still crossed. The people here a really helpful.
    Hope yours works out great

Lewis
  • lewis
    Hello

Meat is looking great . I started it a midnight. Great advice you gave me or we would have been eating supper really late. Thanks again

Lewis
  • FlaPoolman
    Glad it's working out for you ;)