Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is this normal??

Options
Bigjohn
Bigjohn Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I added a small to compliment my large this week and I have a concern with the daisy wheel top.
[/img]005.jpg
The top does not fit very tightly and there is a gap between the top of the egg and the top of the daisy wheel. Enough of a gap that I can put my finger in it all the way around.
[/img]001.jpg
I have large hands.
[/img]003.jpg
[/img]002.jpg
[/img]004.jpg
Has anyone else had this problem or is this a problem? What remedy would you suggest for a better fit?
Thanks for looking.

Comments

• Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    G'morning, John,
    My small's daisy wheel seems large, too,but is too small for my large and medium :blink:
    Guess that's why it flew off a few weeks ago --that and I just opened the lid like I always do, forgetting this was a baby BGE :blush:
    Some folks line their daisy wheel with some felt gasket material.
    If it fits on your large, you might want to see your dealer to see if he has a smaller one B)
    See, that second EGG didn't hurt, now, did it :whistle:
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    BGE has used multiple vendor/manufacturers to make the DFMT's in recent years, and seemingly with not so tight tolerances. It is not going to affect the performance of the Egg, but it is understandable how one would want things to be perfect on a pricey little grill/smoker.
    I have been fortunate that mine fit perfect on all my eggs.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Mine does not sit snuggly either. Someone posted a few years ago that they used a grinder on the inside of the daisy wheel until it fit.

I'm not sure it has made a difference in my cooks on the Small.

Spring "Sandpaper, Caulk, Duck Tape And A Hammer Fixes Everything" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    having it drop down an inch onto the egg will not make a bit of difference in cooking :) we did put a layer of gasket material in the top of all our rain caps just to snug the fit for putting out the coals and that has worked well. but from the pictures I would not be real concerned.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Hey Spring Chicken,
    I do have some pink duct tape and a sledge hammer. I can drive it on with the hammer then tape it down. Probably no one would notice. :laugh:
  • Smokin' not stirred
    Options
    Hey John. I have seen someone use a piece of Nomex gasket on the inside of the wheel to make it a snug fit. It was posted here awhile ago. J.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Pink Duct Tape??? That's for fixing 'girlie' stuff.

Here's an idea; I can swap daisy wheels with you. Mine is too tight.

Spring "Everything Is Too Something" Chicken
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    I really think mine is too tight also. Or, at least in places. It will not go down completely on the egg and acts like it is riding on some spurs of metal inside. I will probably grind off a little of the inside and see if it fits better. Thanks for the offer though.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I hardly ever use the DFMT. Only on lo n slo cooks. So, I've never really noticed (or cared) how mine fits.

On a side not though - you really should consider placing the little green feet between your large and the paver. I've seen too many pics of scorched (or burned through) tables without the air space.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    My small is the same way. If there is no smoke leak then I would not worry.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    i glued a piece of stove gasket material( glued in place with rtv...rr
  • PFSmith
    PFSmith Posts: 34
    Options
    That's strange - the top on my small fits real tight - just the opposite problem. Manufacturing tolerances?

Weird.

Pat