Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pastrami so moist I thought I was gonna die!

Options
funkyQzer
funkyQzer Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Oh, I love Pastrami but have never made it myself. So, my wife got a Corned Beef and wanted to boil it in the juice in the bag. I said wait a minute, I am trying to watch my sodium intake so how about I take care of this one....
So, I soaked it in a big pan of water with a chopped up potato(to leech out the Sodium) and I changed the water every 12 hours for 2 days. Then I cleaned the beef up by taking the fat off one side. For a rub, I used this:

4 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper (more if you like it peppery) I do.
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons Canadian/Montreal Steak seasoning
1/2 teaspoon thyme, dried
1 teaspoon paprika
Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.

Then I put it on my egg at 240 until it hit 165 internal (which was about 4 hours), then I foiled it in fat side up with 1/4 cup beef broth in an airtight (see picture) double wrapped foil seal for another 4 hours. Then one hour plus in an ice chest still wrapped in the foil sitting next to a pot of water that had just been boiling.

Here's the result and I thought it was awesome.

The first you see is the foiled corned beef after 3 hours. I make a real tight seal to keep in the 1/4 cup of beef broth. This is my version of a pressure cooker.

foiled.jpg

Then you see it out of the bag. I used quite a bit more pepper than the recipe above.
halfsliced.jpg

Here are some of those delectable slices.
sliced.jpg

And here is the money shot and my most favorite sandwich in the world..... A pastrami Rueben made the traditional way with Thousand Island dressing, Swiss Cheese, Sauerkraut, Pastrami and grilled in a pan till done...

Rueben2.jpg

Thanks for looking and I am hungry just posting this..

Comments

• Kew_el_steve
    Kew_el_steve Posts: 354
    Options
    Nice job, looks GREAT! I love Pastrami and Reubens. B)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man, that looks great. A Reuben is also one of my favorite sammies. Thanks for sharing all the details.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Options
    I've only tried pastrami once and it came out dry. Your pics have convinced me to try again!
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Does indeed look good. Will try your technique and recipe. Thanx.
  • ron4fish
    ron4fish Posts: 144
    Options
    Oh man that looks delicious!!! Add a little corned beef and Heaven!!
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I am always looking for the best Reuben. Yours looks about as good as it gets. Great job and I can't wait to give it a go.
  • MA egger
    MA egger Posts: 51
    Options
    I'm interested to hear about the potato trick to leech the sodium out. What's the science behind that? Would it work with other items where I want to lose the sodium? Did you just use one potato?

The pastrami looks great btw, I'll be trying that myself one day soon.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    welcome to the eggheadforum marty!
  • GeorgiaBorn
    GeorgiaBorn Posts: 178
    Options
    Ok, first of all my mouth is watering right now. I am a pastrami freak and really haven't had a good pastrami sandwich since my last trip to NY and Carnegie Deli and that was about 10 years ago.

I have a couple of questions:

1)You said your wife got a corned beef. Did she buy one of those corned beef that comes in a bag with the spice packet and you boil all of it together to get corned beef? Is that what you're talking about?

2) Then you said "Then one hour plus in an ice chest still wrapped in the foil sitting next to a pot of water that had just been boiling." So, you put the foiled beef in an ice chest next to a pot of water that you just took off the stove for an hour? I just want to make sure I understand this. Also, what does this do?

I have seen a lot of pastrami posts in here but yours is by far the best one I have seen. If you have time, please post a reply with answers to my questions. I definitely want to do one of these with your recipe. Thanks!
  • GeorgiaBorn
    GeorgiaBorn Posts: 178
    Options
    Two more questions:

Did you set up the BGE indirect?
    Any smoking wood used?

Thanks again!
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Reubens with ice cold beer are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Nice job, Marty.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Very nice looking. Love pastrami here too.

IF and that is a huge if, you have any left overs make yourself a pastrami burger.

Life just gets better
    pastrami-burger.jpg

Thanks for sharing that great cook.

GG
  • asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    Options
    The 2 day soak may have been key. I tried it once and after a one day soak, it was still salty.
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Awsome!!
    The plated pic is perfect
    Nice job :)

Shane
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Quick, please send me a reuben sanwich for lunch! :)
    It looks delectable.
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    so..... that's a sandwich! great job
    context is important :)
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    8 hours seems a little long for pastrami, but you can't argue with the results. I'll take two of the sandwiches.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    GG, planning on doing pastrami burgers for a birthday party at the end of the month! Can't wait.

Great looking pastrami Marty. One of my favorite cooks. I buy up corned beefs when they are on sale in March and keep them in the freezer.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

A great sauce for that burger (any burger) is make up some fry sauce. 50/50 mayo and catchup, then for the burger sauce add small amounts of hot dog relish to get the flavor you like.

The fry sauce is good alone but adding the relish will get you to McD's Big Mac secret sauce.

GG
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Holy Cow, I gotta try that!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Marty, the Reuben is my all-time favorite sammie. I'd never even thought about making my own pastrami, thanks for posting the recipe.
    Added to the "list"! :)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• reccitron
    reccitron Posts: 176
    Options
    That looks awesome. I'm going to have to try it soon.
  • funkyQzer
    Options
    MA egger wrote:
    I'm interested to hear about the potato trick to leech the sodium out. What's the science behind that? Would it work with other items where I want to lose the sodium? Did you just use one potato?

The pastrami looks great btw, I'll be trying that myself one day soon.

I can't talk about the science behind it. I was told to try it by one of the best BBQ guys (and smartest) I know. I have tried it several times and haven't been disappointed. My neighbor did a Pastrami at the same time as me and didn't do the potato and his was salty....

I used one potato each day for a total of 2. I believe the key is also changing the water 1 to 2 times per day.
  • funkyQzer
    Options
    Grandpas Grub wrote:

Very nice looking. Love pastrami here too.

IF and that is a huge if, you have any left overs make yourself a pastrami burger.

Life just gets better
    pastrami-burger.jpg

Thanks for sharing that great cook.

GG

Thanks for the idea, but we have never had leftovers. Maybe 2 pastramis next time..
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Hmmmm... I've seen that rub recipe somewheres' before. Heheheee.

It looks like your pastrami turned out just right. I particularity like the shot of the sandwich, and we have similar tastes in knives too.

DSC01599a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • funkyQzer
    Options
    That was your recipe exactly! Thanks. I use it everytime!
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    It's a good one for sure. I see you have some UDS's.... I have two drums myself.

DSC05249JPGa.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Smokinb
    Smokinb Posts: 103
    Options
    That sandwich shot is WOW!