Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Orleans Jazz Fest/BGE fest 2006

Options
Eric
Eric Posts: 83
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have posted in the past about a New Orleans BGE fest but I have been too lazy to set it up. But now insperation has struck.[p]Jazz Fest is the perfect time to have a New Orleans Egg fest. Here is why.[p]- Jazz fest is the last weekend of April and first weekend of May every year...so the dates will already be set for us no matter what.[p]- Jazz fest is probably the best festival in the United States. Here is why.[p]- the music line up is nuts! It runs the line from major headliners (Dylan, Santana, Buffett, D.M.B.) to great local acts and everything in between. There is Rock, Jazz, Blues, Gosple, Funk, brass band, bluegrass, you name it it is here. [p]The fest is truly 4 fests in one; music (see above), heritage- demonstarations of all kinds of Louisiana folk arts and crafts, Art- the fest has a juried art show of contemporary art, and ...IMHO the most important part... FOOD. [p]There are dozens(I think last year they had 60+) food venders at this thing. But this is not your normal fest food w/ the guy selling funnle cakes and other "carnival" fare. Each vendor can only serve three items, and they have to have that item juried in to the fest. I serve as a food taster during the fest and do the "mystery shopper" thing where I q.c. the food. Great deal, I get a free pass for each day of the fest , and JF. pays for 1/2 of my food costs. Trust me when I say this is as much of a food fest as a music fest.[p]- The fest ends at 7(ish) each day b/c of local noise regs. So... after a full day of the fest we retire back to the egg-fest to recap our day, share Jazz fest "war stories", eat whatever has been on the smoker all afternoon, drink libations, plan for the next day. Repeat.[p]If interested please let me know. It will take the whole year to plan this right so If I get interet (not necessarily comitment) then I'll start the process.[p]Eric [p][p]
[ul][li]New Orleans Jazz Fest Link[/ul]

Comments

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    Eric,
    You can count me in. I live on MS Gulf Coast, so the prospects of an eggfest that close sounds great. Also, the Jazz fest is awsome. Haven't been for the past 7 years as I was living in the UK. I understand it's gotten quite crowded. Never the less, we plan to go this year.[p]Cheers, Bob

• Eric
    Eric Posts: 83
    Options
    bobbyb,[p]
    See you there.[p]I'll be hanging around the LA MArket place area b/c my wfe works in that area.[p]Have a good fest!

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Eric, that will make us have to make decisions/ Waldorf is usually the second weekend in May and TexEggFest is usually the third weekend in May. This is going to make for a hard decision. How many and where? Actually sounds like a great time an dif you set it up, I'm sure plenty will be there. Just plan on it starting small and then growing like gangbusters.

• MerlinEgger
    Options
    Eric,[p]I live in N Alabama and have a brother in Baton Rouge. I'll pick him up on the way.
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Eric,[p]I'm definitely interested.

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    drbbq, if you're going, then Eric's got the makings of a fest. I guess he has to be committed now. OK Eric, start planning. You know, jazz in the spring time would be great. A few mint juleps, some bourbon-glazed ribs - I think I could enjoy that one.

• BigEasyEggor
    Options
    I have to concur regarding the Jazz Fest. I have been to it dozens of times over many years and enjoyed it every time. Both the music and the food are incredible. If there is a way to combine it with the BGE, that would be great.[p]BEE
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Eric,
    Man... I wish you had thought of this earlier. Me and Spring Hen would love to do an Eggfest around a Jazzfest. Especially in New Orleans. It's gotta be a great time for both music lovers and Egg lovers. Maybe next year. Keep everyone posted with pictures and details of this year. It will be a priority next year.[p]Spring "Very Big-Very Easy" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA