Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Mom Won A Ceramic Grill (not an egg)

BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
my mom who lives in mcdounough ga. won a kamado joe. she is very excited about winning a new grill and since i have 3 eggs she has sampled alot of food. for the last 3 years we have been making mad max's turkey in her oven. so she is really excited to be making a journey into the ceramic world. i however have been unsuccessful in finding much info on them. and being the good son i am :whistle: i figured someone here would know. i know they are very similar to a egg. and i know alot of you have more than one ceramic grill. so if any of you have any info please post it here. i am emailing her the link to this post which she will look at later.

thanks eggers ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    My local home depot, or was it lowes, just started carrying that about 2 weeks ago. I examined it and thought that it looked all right. I wasn't crazy about the daisy wheel but it looked all right and pretty good construction. I haven't cooked on one but I'm sure it will be pretty similiar. Wouldn't mind winning one though. :laugh: I also saw another knock off at Academy. I can't remember the brand but I was very unimpressed. I'd be curious to hear a review on it from an egg head if you ever get a chance.
  • guzzijason
    guzzijason Posts: 143
    What was the issue with the daisy wheel? In the pictures I've seen, it looks like pretty much identical to the one on my BGE.

__Jason
  • Before I got my egg I went to a local BBQ festival and someone tried to sell me a Kamando Joe by comparing it to the egg. Said something about ceramic being thicker I think 1" compared to 3/4" and the handle being wider. If I remember right the thicker ceramic increased the weight on their large size by 40 lbs. That was about a year ago though.
  • BENTE
    when i get my hands on it i will give a review. proabably wont mean much but i will. i know i will cook a turkey on it in november B)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    thanks pal

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Did she win that at the Azeala Festival?
    Did she win a bag of charcoal and firestarters at a dealer event on Wednesday night?

If so I have never met your Mom. :)
  • BENTE
    thanks man i think i remember something like that

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Congrats to Mom! First thoughts, take some measurements inside the Joe and if close enough to the egg then get your Mom hooked up with Tom over at the ceramic grill store for setups (if there is no indirect accessories with this cooker. Stainless rack with aluminum drip pan is a lot lighter to lift in and out than a heavy plate setter.
    The link; www.ceramicgrillstore.com

The Kamado Joe looks like an egg copy and my guess is that it will cook like an egg. I saw one up close and personal but have not cooked on one. The only thing original about the Joe is the bamboo handle for lifting the dome. :pinch: But hey, congrats to Mom! Free is a good price and any day cookin out on a ceramic cooker with lump charcoal is better than cookin indoors in a oven. ;)

Get Mom set with the basic grilling tools and a thermapen. Tip; The Big Green Egg Cookbook is a gift that keeps on giving. And send her the recipe for Hodag Cookies. :cheer:
    Have fun with this!
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    She (you?) might check out the KJ group on Facebook. There is a chap there named Andy who is full of information. Wish her luck with her new hobby!!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    The one that I was looking at just had one movable flap and it was pretty loose. I'm trying to remember, but it didn't look like you could remove the whole top piece. Maybe they had it set up so that it wouldn't get stolen, but it didn't look that way. I just wasn't impressed with that part. I will examine it more when I go back to lowes this afternoon.
  • Glad your mom is happy ;)
    Now you might be able to teach her a trick or two :lol:
  • BENTE
    yes you have i sent you a message through fb before i posted ;)

thanks for helping

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Teach your Mom a trick? Well I do remember when my Mom asked me to spice the turkey soup. I poured salt into the palm of my hand like normal"wait that's too much" so I added it a pinch at a time and said "taste" each time. Turned out to be just the right amount. Then I added the bay leaves :laugh:
  • BENTE
    i must have had an old link because i tried to go there the other day!! thanks for an update for me.

she bought a "heat deflector" is what she told me. and said someone outside the store was cooking a pizza so she wanted to do the same thing i told her it was fine till she said she already had a stone :pinch: i told her to go buy one cause her pampered chef ston would shatter :laugh:

hope you are well clay

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    thanks wiz i sent her a link to your place. told her to just start reading :laugh:

i will have to check out the kj group on fb. thanks

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    yea i think i will throw down on it at thanksgiving time. i think i will see if my guru will fit it ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    now that is pretty funny :lol:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Hey, the clay ones brought back to the US by WWII GI's are still working, and working well, so there's no reason her's won't do a good job.

But the warranty is another story.

Plus, we Eggheads are fully aware that the Big Green Egg is the only one out there that has magical properties.

Your Mom could always sell the Joe and go buy an Egg.

Spring "Magic Does Make A Difference" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    That's awsome she won a ceramic grill. Now trade it in for a egg! I have seen a couple in Lowes. The quality was my main issue when looking it over. The BGE is far superior in quality. What I did like about the accessories was the nest. Looked very sturdy compared to the eggs nest. Don't ever let her grill on the egg and she will never know the difference!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    Funny you mention this. I walked past a KJ dealer the other day going into Publix and figured I go in and talk to the Sales guy. His story to me was that, the owners are former BBE guys. When they decided to start making their own product they polled a lot of Egg guys to see what changes in the Egg they would most like to see.

- Daisy that is fastened to the dome so it won't fall off (I've never had this happen)
    - Bamboo side shelves and handle
    - nest with a wider base
    - stainless steal grid
    - bigger, better dome thermometer

After looking at it, I think it is a quality piece. About the same price as a Large and close to the same size. The bamboo is a nice touch and I "REALLY" liked the thermometer (wonder if it would fit the egg), but I didn't think the other changes were earth shattering. As an Alabama fan I thought the red color was nice but didn't have that nostalgic feeling I get when I see GREEN. The gasket like any other will go quick. Maybe even quicker as it seemed to have a lot of excess on the inside lip.

Would I buy one? No. Not a big enough difference in the EGG to make that switch. But I think it is a very quality cooker. Would I take one for FREE? Hell yeah I would in a second. My buddy won a Primo Oval XL in a drawing a few years back. Top quality ceramic cookers for free, sign me up.
  • BENTE
    you know leroy i am just happy i got her cooking on something other than an electric grill :pinch: so we dont need to go recreating the wheel :laugh:

terry "not inventing much" BENTE

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    well i am hoping she uses it once a week.. then she will get some long term use out of it.. since i have one on fire 5 days a week :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    that is what i thought i noticed a few confusing the one at lowes and i did not think that was the right one. she sent me a picture hers is red or garnet as she calls it. i figure free is a great way to go and the people at the dealership is right near her house so if she has any problems with it i'm sure it wont be a problem. they actually invited her to a cooking class at the dealership. i have met the dealer at a fellow eggers house and she was a really nice lady and seemed really knowledgable about cooking. so i think she is in good hands :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Bente,

That's awesome! Before you know it she'll be cooking at fests. :)
  • BENTE
    i figure i can talk her into eggtoberfest. since it is less than 10 miles from her house :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• RCB
    RCB Posts: 16
    I looked at Kamado Joe's a year ago and was impressed with the quality of construction and use of stainless steel. I believe you'll be impressed with it and their well thought out accessories. They also come in other colors if you're a sports fan.
  • BENTE
    thanks. i think i have seen one but it has been awhile. she is happy so i am too :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• LoisLane
    LoisLane Posts: 94
    First … let me say thanks to the members of this forum for being open to questions & discussion from all people, no matter what brand of ceramic cooker they happen to own.

Second- congrats to your mom. In this economy- winning something of this value is truly fantastic !!

We own a Kamado Joe and are very pleased with it. Before long, we plan to add a small EGG to the family as well.

We were actually shopping for a large BGE this spring, then met someone who owns one of each and could tell us the pro’s & con’s of both. We had several food items prepared on the KJ and all were tasty. It was a tough decision for us, as both cookers seem to be high quality and are local to Atlanta for good customer service, etc. We spent hours debating this and finally chose the KJ.

To answer some questions listed above:
    1. While most BGE accessories can be used in the KJ or vice versa… the larger KJ thermometer will NOT fit in the whole of the large BGE. Sadly, the dimension of the thermometer hole in the BGE is too small to allow this. :( (We tried.)

2. The black metal Daisy wheel IS in two parts- both a main slider and then the little wholes option on top of that. The metal topper DOES fit very snuggly to the smoker, but it can indeed be removed – it is not fastened to it. At least this is how they are made now- perhaps original models a few years ago were a little different.

Points that won us over to the KJ side (in this order):
    - Larger thermometer (easy to read from our main floor back window w/out running down to the lower patio to check in person)
    - Larger handle- easy for me to grip & open w/ a mitt on & not be nervous about burning myself
    - Side tables are nicer wood & not wobbly. BBQ Tool pegs are stable, not S hooks that can jiggle around or maybe fall off.
    - Color options (we have black, which matches our patio decor)
    - We preferred their style of 2 piece heat deflector (vs heavy solid plate setter)
    - Nice looking nest
    - Slighty lower price
    - Thicker ceramic

Downside of KJ:
    - The lower air vent does not have a screen mesh covering. We were warned that sparks may pop out at us, but so far that has not happened. If it does, hubby will figure out a way to deal with it.
    - Also, no ceramic vent cover is included to keep rain out & allow you to keep the metal daisy wheel topper dry. We are working with a friend to have a ceramic topper made for us. Then we can keep the metal part out of the rain as we don’t want to cover the whole grill.

FYI- have your mom look at the Kamado Joe website. There are limited recipes there, but if she likes salmon- have her search on that. There is a full meal idea there for cedar plank salmon, sweet potatoes, and frozen green beans w/ Italian dressing. Very easy & incredibly tasty. That was the first thing we ever cooked on our new toy and it turned out perfect ! Since then we have done a variety of KJ recipes and lots of BGE recipes and a few of our own… and all have turned out very well, especially for us being newbies at this.

Let me know on here or email me directly if you have any specific questions for us.
  • BENTE
    thank you for a really good response. i am not sure if my mom is still keeping up with this thread. so i copied your response and i am eamiling it to her..

thanks again for some great info ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb