Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

365 Hardwood Charcoal

Options
smbishop
smbishop Posts: 3,053
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just found this at a local Whole Foods:

365 Real Hardwood Charcoal

020-Copy.jpg

023-9.jpg

021-Copy.jpg

In French:

022-12.jpg
Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    it's cowboy. good stuff. much maligned, but for no good reason. :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • smbishop
    Options
    Thanks! First time I have found lump anywhere other than my BGE dealer up here in the PNW! Looking forward to trying it out...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    You may be able to find Royal Oak at WallyWorld or Cowboy at both Lowes and Home Depot.

I just picked up 4 more bags of RO from WW this evening. That, in conjunction with the 6 bags of GrillMate (RO from ACE Hardware), might be enough to last until next year... [notice that I said "might"]

And by all means, dump the gas grill.

From a T-shirt post here recently...
    "Friends don't let friends cook with gas".
  • smbishop
    Options
    Thanks! No WW around here, but I will have to check out ACE, Lowes and Home Depot...
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Scott:

I used Cowboy for a while, and found that it burned faster than other brands, like Royal Oak. I went through a bag in no time, and I cook for one!
    Judy in San Diego
  • smbishop
    Options
    Thanks for the info Judy!
  • barent
    barent Posts: 4
    Options
    If you make it to Bellevue once in a while, check out Cash & Carry.

They have 40-lb bags of Lazzari Mesquite Lump for $13.95. hard too beat that price, even for WW.
  • smbishop
    Options
    Thank you! I was just there a couple of weeks ago (we buy our latte syrup there!) I didn't see any lump. Next time I will ask. This is exactly what I am looking for!
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Scott, i don't think you want mesquite wood for all your cooks. I think its flavor is great for only certain things, but I'm sure someone could speak with authority on the subject.

And tell me about your latte syrup! I make one several mornings a week and I'm eager to make even more delicious.
    Judy in San Diego
  • smbishop
    Options
    My morning routine is making a latte for my wife and me. If I am a bit slow.."where is my latte!" I use sugar free hazel nut:

getCA8HRVDS.jpg

Just a dash for flavor. It is $8+ in a grocery store, but $4 at the cash n carry!
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Hey! I have a few bottles of Torani way back in a cabinet. I'm pretty sure I would have had hazelnut, one of my favorites. I will check on that forthwith!
    Judy in San Diego
  • smbishop
    Options
    As I remind my 5th grade students, my coffee of choice is a double tall, non-fat, one pump, sugar free hazel nut latte! Home made of course! :laugh:
  • Danny Noonan
    Options
    My last experience with Cowboy was not good. I opened the bag and the majority of what was in there was clearly intended to be hardwood flooring at one time. I have been using Royal Oak but just picked up a bag of 365 which has yet to be opened. The pics here look good so maybe I just had a random bad bag of Cowboy.
  • Madame Le Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Thank you, we have 2 Whole Foods in our City. We will check it out! :)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    wood is wood.

i'll admit that seeing the flooring scraps looks ominous, like, gee did they tear this out of an old house? but if you look at it again you'll notice they are all short trimmed ends, knots, that sort of thing. during production they cut out the wood not suited for selling, and instead of it becoming waste, it's used for charcoal. oak in the shape of t&g flooring is exactly the same as unmilled. it's not prefinished or anything.

there's no issue with it
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • ron4fish
    ron4fish Posts: 144
    Options
    World Market carries the Torani if you have one there.
  • OMG Eggs
    OMG Eggs Posts: 118
    Options
    You can also order 20lb bags ($14) of cowboy from Ace online and have it delivered to your closest store for free
  • acegg77
    acegg77 Posts: 120
    Options
    No one has mentioned WF lump for a while and the Naked Wiz guy has not reviewed it since 2008 so I thought I'd mention that I bought a bag of this a couple of weeks ago and I've been quite satisfied with it. WF claims to have very rigid guidelines for the products they carry and so I'm sure they vetted whomever makes this (people say it is Cowboy... but that was awhile a go... could be someone else now since the bag has changed a bit.) 

PRODUCT DETAILS 
    Light your eco-friendly fire and reap the benefits of 100% hardwood charcoal. It imparts a great smoky flavor, lights more easily, burns hotter and cleaner, and regulates cooking temperature better than conventional briquettes. No chemicals are added and no trees are cut for making our hardwood charcoal; instead we primarily use waste recovered from the lumber industry.

Ingredients:  
    100% hardwood. No trees are cut for making our hardwood charcoal; we primarily use waste wood recovered from the lumber industry.

I don't know how they define "lumber industry." Does that include scrap oak flooring ripped from old houses... stuff that has been treated with all sorts of chemicals? I doubt it. Having shopped at WF for many years, if anyone else had make the above claim about "100% hardwood" I'm not sure I'd believe it, but I do from WF. Anyway, the price was right $6.39 for an 8.8 lb bag. My wife picked up 3 this morning. Who knows how long the local store will have it with winter coming.

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I have been burning Frontier lump purchased at BJ's, $19.95 for 34 lbs.  I am pleased with the size distribution and the way it burns.  Going out tonight to see if they have any left, will buy 1-2 more bags to make sure I get through the winter, though it looks like Wegman's (RO) will have stock all winter, 10 lbs for $6.29.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • thailandjohn
    Options
    I know there's a lot of talk about what type of charcoal to use and what type of wood to use. The only way I can achieve the real barbecue flavor like I've experienced in Texas, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, and other various southern states, is to use mesquite charcoal with wood chunks and chips mixed throughout the charcoal..... In the picture below it shows chunks of Hickory on the top but there's also chunks of Hickory mixed underneath tphe mesquite charcoal...... I use the Stoker to control the incoming air and temperature and without a temp controller the incoming air would create a big draft and catch all the wood and charcoal on fire, real fast...... Without doing it this way I would not like my Big Green Egg....... We have a business Costco in our area and Lazzari is located just across the bay from us.....I can get the 40 pound sacks of Mesquite for $11, 50lb bag of chips or chunks (apple, cherry, hickory etc) also very cheap.
  • stevesails
    Options
    Hmmm. I'm surprised you have to use electronic assistance. I can hold temps with.just regulating bottom vent . But I will admit for 250. The temp controller is set and forget.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• thailandjohn
    Options
    If you load as much raw wood as I do, even with the bottom vent closed way down, once the wood catches fire, the draft will start a large fire in the Egg
  • stevesails
    Options
    Oh.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Ballardbbq
    Options
    You can get Royal Oak at Stoneway Hardware in Ballard. I used 360 too but Royal Oak is much better!

Large, Medium & Mini-Max - Seattle & a Puget Sound Island

• ringkingpin
    Options
    everyone needs a little polyethelyne smoke in their life!

"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin