Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fixed Root Beer BBQ Sauce the other day

Options
meat03man
meat03man Posts: 83
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well I fixed some rootbeer bbq sauce the other day and it was real good, ate like 3 bottles in 2 days between my wife and dad and I. So I went for round two made with coca cola. It's cooling a little right now I will let you know how it turns out.

2011-06-09_16-33-22_312.jpg

Comments

• BarManBean
    BarManBean Posts: 129
    Options
    Question: why are all the mason jars upside down?
  • meat03man
    Options
    They will seal themselves if you put the stuff in hot and turn them upside down. I rarely go through the whole process of actually canning anything but if you just put it in hot and flip the jar it will seal itself and you don't have to keep it refrigerated.
  • EggerFromIowa
    Options
    Is the Root Beer Recipe similar to the Dr Pepper Recipe in the Sauce category or is it a totally different recipe?

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=1269
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Very interesting! I wouldn't mind giving that a try. Can you share the recipe you used? I found one here that sounds perty good.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    Cheerwine works great as well.
  • meat03man
    Options
    It's a lot different and a lot simpler as well.
    2 Liter of Rootbeer
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1/2 cup mustard
    3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    2 teaspoons lime juice
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon pepper
    2 teaspoons tabasco sauce
    1 and 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    2 tablespoons butter

put root beer in large sauce pan cook for about an hour and 30 minutes stirring occasionally. You should have about a cup and a half of root beer left afterwards.
    while that cooks mix everything else except for butter in a bowl and whisk together.
    Mix the bowl of vinegar mixture in root beer and cook on medium high for about 20 minutes.
    Add 2 tablespoons of salted butter and let melt.
    Then it's done, you can always mix in some corn starch and water to get it a little thicker. It's a thin sauce but really good on pork. I used coke in the last batch and it is really good as well. However I think the root beer makes for a better bbq sauce.
  • meat03man
    Options
    That is the basic recipe I used I just tweeked it a little. I posted it above if you want the recipe.
  • meat03man
    Options
    It's a lot different and a lot simpler as well.
    2 Liter of Rootbeer
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1/2 cup mustard
    3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    2 teaspoons lime juice
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon pepper
    2 teaspoons tabasco sauce
    1 and 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    2 tablespoons butter

put root beer in large sauce pan cook for about an hour and 30 minutes stirring occasionally. You should have about a cup and a half of root beer left afterwards.
    while that cooks mix everything else except for butter in a bowl and whisk together.
    Mix the bowl of vinegar mixture in root beer and cook on medium high for about 20 minutes.
    Add 2 tablespoons of salted butter and let melt.
    Then it's done, you can always mix in some corn starch and water to get it a little thicker. It's a thin sauce but really good on pork. I used coke in the last batch and it is really good as well. However I think the root beer makes for a better bbq sauce.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Thanks - I have to try your recipe! - curious though - is it sweet? I'm thinking of making it with my favorite IBC root beer or does brand really matter?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • meat03man
    Options
    It's a very flavorful sauce, it is sweet, but I like my bbq sauce a little sweet, a little tangy and a little spice, it's not hot enough for my wife to complain, not sweet enough for me to complain and not to vinegary for anyone else. As far as root beer brand I wouldn't imagine it would matter, it has almost the same flavor with coke that it did with root beer just a little different. I used A&W because around here that is the only thing I could find in a 2 liter, I am hoping next time I make it I will be going with Barq's but it's hard to find in my area.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Thanks ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• LoisLane
    LoisLane Posts: 94
    Options
    Sounds interesting. I love Root Beer (and Dr Pepper as well), but hubby dislikes both. Is the flavor of these BBQ sauces noticeably like root beer (or Dr Pepper), or just a hint ?

I saw you said it can be made w/ cola, but I would rather scale it down & do it the real way and see if I can get him to at least try some. I found a recipe online the other day for Dr Pepper baked beans. I am sure he would turn up his nose at that also. :(
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    meat03man wrote:
    They will seal themselves if you put the stuff in hot and turn them upside down. I rarely go through the whole process of actually canning anything but if you just put it in hot and flip the jar it will seal itself and you don't have to keep it refrigerated.
    This tip may just change my world... :ohmy:

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• meat03man
    Options
    Honestly I would be amazed if he could taste any root beer or Dr Pepper at all in this. I made everyone try to guess what I made the sauce with and nobody had any clue on the root beer or coke.