Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just did a Picnic roast

James
James Posts: 232
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My local super had picnics on sale for 88 cents a pound, so I picked up 2 of them. This was the first time I did a picnic. I think I remember someone here saying they were as good as a boston Butt.[p]This one was a 6 pound roast, and I put it on last night around 19:00. I checked the egg in the middle of the night just to make sure that it wasn't out. I didn't take an internal temp or anything. I probably should have. When I woke up at 06:00 or so, I found the egg at 350 degrees, which is obviously higher than I wanted. I closed down the vents, and took the roast off about an hour later.[p]I cooked it skin side down on an elevated grid with a heat shield under it. I left the skin on.[p]I let it set for a while before I pulled it. I didn't wrap it in foil like I normally would do for a pulled pork.[p]One big difference I noticed when pulling, was the smell. It was a really different smell than a butt roast. Is that because of the bones and joints in the picnic? It was horrible or anything, but it was not really very appetizing either. [p]Also, there is a wider variety of meat in a picnic. I lot of meat that is a really really dark color. I don't seem to like the taste of this meat very much. There is a lot less of the meat that is similar in color and texture to a butt roast.[p]
I really didn't like it. If I had company coming for this, I would definately not have served it, and done a quick Plan B.[p]
Does anyone see any place where I went really wrong? I know that my temp was a little too high for a while, and it was cooked a little bit before I planned.[p]
Do other people really like these? [p][p]

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    James, I use picnics whenever I cannot come to terms with the prices on butts. I have never had a problem with the flavor. I do find it has a bit more fat and residual "junk" than the butts when it finally reaches temperature but the meat itself is good. The strands sem to me to be a bit longer so I normally cut them with some kitchen shears but the meat is good. I would (and have) serve it to guests with no hesitation.[p]I suspect part of the problem was the temperature. I have never had mine get that hot and I suspect that part of the fat may have burned a bit in the process. I don't like the smellof the burned fat and I can imagine that too much could ruin the flavor of the meat. Also, you did get a picnic roast (the cut right below the butt) and not a picnic ham, right? I have heard of some folks trying to cook a ham and pull that with not so great results. Try it again and see how it turns out.

• James
    James Posts: 232
    Wise One,[p]Thanks for the input. Yes, it is definately a roast. I have another one in the Fridge, and I may give it a shot this weekend. At 6 dollars for the whole roast, it will be worth trying to get right.[p]Do you use a drip pan? Do you leave the skin all on? Do you put skin side up or down?[p]

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    James,[p]I have never had a problem with picnics and I actually enjoy the amount and texture of the sweet meat (closer to the bone). Assuming that the picnic was not spoiled in any way, another possible answer is "boar taint". Older male pigs, which are not castrated can develop this strong taste and it seems to be stronger in the fattier cuts. In the US, 90%+ of male pigs are castrated so this is not a problem when buying from packing houses. Being a country boy, I can still buy lamb, beef, & hogs direct from ranchers and try to stay away from any older stock for that reason.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Wise One,
    Hey Bill,[p]I'll work on the BBQ recipe today. I got a young gobbler to cook so I'll have some time to edit after the bird is on.
    Clay

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    James,
    Was this a picnic shoulder or a picnic ham? My understanding is that a Boston butt is the boneless lower portion of the shoulder while a ham is from the leg.
    I did a picnic shoulder Thursday night that finished up last night at about 10:30 (25 hours).[p]I always notice a slightly unappealing odor from the bone when pulling this cut, but it doesn't carry over into the meat. This one was slightly stronger than usual though, it's the first time I ever did a frozen shoulder, I picked up a pair back in October at $.66/lb, did one fresh and froze the other.[p]Cheers,
    C~Q

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    James, I do mine indirect but usually without a drip pan . I cover my egg setter with aluminum foil to keep it clean(er). I cook mine skin up but I try to score the skin so the rub can get to the meat. I do exactly what you do. When I see them at $0.69/lb, I stock up. I think I have another onr in my freezer now. I try not to ever pay more than $1.29 for my butts. Right now they going for $1.99 so I just let them sit. The picnics are usually selling for $0.89 or $0.99 so I'll pick them up as an alternative. Try it again. They're good.