Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

here is my completed contest entry......

Options
deepsouth
deepsouth Posts: 1,796
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i had posted a preview of this a week or so ago, but i've got the final stream done and turned in and the contest is in full swing.

here are the details on the contest....

Quick Synopsis:
Five grilling/bbq enthusiasts have been hand picked to compete in this competition and contacted independently. They have received a package of Coachella Valley California Dates in which they must pair with pork. You will judge them and determine who the winner is based on a Date & Pork themed photo stream they have prepared. Winner will be sent a box of beer and other items of interest from yours truly and be named the TBS BBQ King for 2011.

The Objective:
The participants will document the preparation and final presentation of the dates and pork utilizing any form of pork product they choose. They will create a photo stream of at least 15 pictures but no more than 35 showcasing the event on Google Picassa. The final picture in the stream will be a designed plate with the meat, two sides and one beverage. The sides and beverage are up to the participant and should be chosen in regards to winning over the judges. One side may be a dessert, but dates MUST be used in the dessert.

The Judging:
Anybody and everybody should judge and vote on this competition. YOU ARE A JUDGE! Judging is based on the aesthetic presentation of the photo stream. This is not a popularity contest so please vote on the photo streams only. Things to consider for the judges when voting are:
- Composition of photos including detail, sharpness, color balance, lighting, etc. Blurry pictures are not acceptable.
- How informative the photo stream was in terms of the process from start to finish.
- How attractive and desirable the final meal appears.
- Overall enjoyment of the photo stream.

Specific Rules for Participants:
Any pork product or cut may be used. This may include but not limited to bacon, sausage, shoulder, ribs, loin, ham, etc.
Dates and pork can be grilled, smoked, roasted, rotisseried, etc but must be cooked outdoors.
The dates must be identifiable in the meal. Meaning a jam that is visible is ok, but burying them in a bbq sauce where you can not see them is not.
All sauces used on the dates and pork must be hand made. No bottled sauces or marinades allowed.
BBQing mascots such as pets, children and woman wearing skimpy outfits are encouraged in the photos.
At least one "complete meal" photo must be used in the photostream and should be placed at the end of the stream.
For consistency and a "level playing field", all participants must use same photo sharing site for photostream. Google Picasso.
Photo stream must be completed by June 1st which is 3.5 weeks away.
Not adhering to the rules will result in an instant disqualification from the contest.

What is a Date?. From Wikipedia:

The date palm (Phoenix dactylifera) is a palm in the genus Phoenix, cultivated for its edible sweet fruit. Although its place of origin is unknown because of long cultivation, it probably originated from lands around the Persian Gulf.[1] It is a medium-sized plant, 15–25 m tall, growing singly or forming a clump with several stems from a single root system. The leaves are 3–5 m long, with spines on the petiole, and pinnate, with about 150 leaflets; the leaflets are 30 cm long and 2 cm wide. The full span of the crown ranges from 6 to 10 m.

and here is the my final entry photostream.....

https://picasaweb.google.com/107444540370252839641/TBSWestsideThreatThrowdown?authkey=Gv1sRgCMGtq6jWrZq3fg#slideshow/5612339714659274850

i'll let you guys know how i do.

thanks for looking!

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Jason,

Do it to it, man! :woohoo:

That'll be tough to beat.
  • deepsouth
    Options
    Ripnem wrote:
    Jason,

Do it to it, man! :woohoo:

That'll be tough to beat.

thanks! i'm currently tied for first, but i haven't voted yet.
  • RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207
    Options
    Good luck! The food looks amazing-I can almost taste all of the different flavors and undertones. I especially like the Chimay reduction-that is some serious cooking!

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Damn Jason, I was just going to do a couple of dogs on the mini tonight.
    I feel so inadequate :whistle:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    This judge can't figure out how to vote. :pinch:
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    That's some fancy cooking right there. looks delish. good luck in the contest.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Wow, what a cook! You really threw down the gauntlet. Good luck
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • deepsouth
    Options
    Ripnem wrote:
    This judge can't figure out how to vote. :pinch:

it's not you.... the voters are the people from the beer website. you have to have been a member there prior to the contest.

thanks for trying though!
  • deepsouth
    Options
    Griffin wrote:
    That's some fancy cooking right there. looks delish. good luck in the contest.

Austin Egghead wrote:
    Wow, what a cook! You really threw down the gauntlet. Good luck

thank you. aLOT more thought and effort went into that one than just a regular cook. i thought and played around with stuff for a month before i came up with what you see.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Dude!!

That's outstanding Jason - nice cook, nice pics, creative, etc.
  • ron4fish
    ron4fish Posts: 144
    Options
    I'm hungry, That looks fantastic. Good Luck and hope you win!!
  • Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    Beautiful pics. The food looks fantastic. I thought the chutney was fanfriggintastic! Good luck with the contest.
    Paul
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Hey Jason
    Looks like a winning entry
    Good luck with the contest :)

Shane
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Jason, with a meal like that, you are a shoe in! Everything looks superb. :) Sure wish I could have a bite, errr, I mean plate.
  • Grillin Guy
    Grillin Guy Posts: 302
    Options
    Jason, that is one amazing presentation! You're hands down a winner in anybody's book. That being said, when you fix my plate......... leave the brussels sprouts OFF! LOL
  • deepsouth
    Options
    Grillin Guy wrote:
    Jason, that is one amazing presentation! You're hands down a winner in anybody's book. That being said, when you fix my plate......... leave the brussels sprouts OFF! LOL

hahahaha. i hateed brussel sprouts, but these were fantastic. i'd go out on a limb and say you'd like these probably!
  • Grillin Guy
    Grillin Guy Posts: 302
    Options
    You better hope that's a low limb. :laugh:
  • EggerFromIowa
    Options
    That looks amazing!! On your pouring liquid into the pan shot, I hope you got that on the first take.

How many bacon strips does it take to make a bacon weave?
  • deepsouth
    Options
    EggerFromIowa wrote:
    That looks amazing!! On your pouring liquid into the pan shot, I hope you got that on the first take.

How many bacon strips does it take to make a bacon weave?

thanks! that picture was first take. hahaha.

that was a one pound package in the weave, but i added two strips, one to each end after i took the picture.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    That is a beautiful meal Jason!! The flavors of that meal must have been fantastic.
    Your thoughts on the flavors. Anything you would have changed?
    Hoping you win!!!!!
    Cheers.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • deepsouth
    Options
    cookn biker wrote:
    That is a beautiful meal Jason!! The flavors of that meal must have been fantastic.
    Your thoughts on the flavors. Anything you would have changed?
    Hoping you win!!!!!
    Cheers.

thanks molly!

the only thing i would change is adding less chicken broth to the stuffing. i was scared it would dry out and it ended up being MAYBE a bit too moist.

it was like thanksgiving in may. not really the best may meal, but would have been perfect in the spring!
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    deepsouth Jason: AWESOME!!! Very nice ideas, and very well executed!! Everything looks truly great, and I hope you win! (And if by chance you don't, you MUST show us the winner, as that would have to be something truly ridiculously spectacular!) Great efforts, and great creativity! Love your multiple use of the dates, too! ;)

(I must ask, in your photo essay, you say the pork was 145* and the stuffing at 165*. Curious how you can get a stuffing/filling at a higher internal temp than the meat itself. Typo? :huh: )
  • deepsouth
    Options
    Little Chef wrote:
    deepsouth Jason: AWESOME!!! Very nice ideas, and very well executed!! Everything looks truly great, and I hope you win! (And if by chance you don't, you MUST show us the winner, as that would have to be something truly ridiculously spectacular!) Great efforts, and great creativity! Love your multiple use of the dates, too! ;)

(I must ask, in your photo essay, you say the pork was 145* and the stuffing at 165*. Curious how you can get a stuffing/filling at a higher internal temp than the meat itself. Typo? :huh: )

i'm guessing the liquid and loseness in the stuffing was able make it get hotter than the more dense pork?

i dunno.....that's what the thermapen said.
  • deepsouth
    Options
    well, the contest concluded last night at midnight pst and i squeaked out a 15-12 victory!!! here is the second place dish....

https://picasaweb.google.com/bfrbaker/WSTPorkAndDates?authkey=Gv1sRgCKz4gK31wIq2PQ#slideshow/5616048825385016306
  • Caligirl In Texas
    Options
    Awesome looking. I'm trying a similar version suited a little more to my taste tonight. Thank you for posting. Looks delicious. I get so many good ideas from this forum. Congratulations on your win too.